Why does a dog howl at night. folk signs and features
The howl of a dog. one of his own or that of the one living in the neighborhood. not only disturbs the loud and dreary sound. It causes anxiety, even fear, in most people. These feelings are an echo of ancient instincts, when the howl, announcing the presence of a wild beast, forced a person to seek refuge or flee. And when such a sound comes from a long-tamed, domestic creature, heard in or near a home, it causes, at best, significant discomfort.
Therefore, many conjectures and signs arose that explain why a dog howls at night or during the day. They appeared at a time when people did not even try to understand the reasons for canine behavior. Let’s try to find out if all such assumptions can be considered fiction and what makes a domesticated animal howl.
Call of the ancestors
The voice of wolves can deliver quite complex messages. They send along a chain for many kilometers information about the location of another animal, be it an enemy, a victim or a person. In each case, the howl will be distinctive. It is transmitted from animal to animal for many kilometers to gather all members of the pack for hunting or to warn them of danger.
A huge role in the social life of wolves is played by collective vocal performance, which serves as an instrument of socialization, sharpening the instinct of individuals belonging to their group. In addition, in this way, the wolves echo with other packs and necessarily signal with a chorus howl if their brother has fought off the group.
In the course of experiments, scientists have found that a howl is heard every time if any of its members are removed from the flock, but the loudest and most prolonged sound came when the leader was separated from the group. The same reaction occurred if a pair of individuals of potential or permanent sexual partners were separated.
As a rule, the collective howl is heard at dawn or dusk. The leader begins to solo, after a while, the rest of the group join him. All the above facts can explain a number of signs, not only those to which the dog howls at night, but why this happens in the daytime.
Longing and loneliness
Dogs have a highly developed need to interact with their own kind, which has been supplanted by dependence on humans and communication with them. Pets have a hard time being separated from any family member, especially from the owner. They express their longing with a heartbreaking howl from which the neighbors suffer.
Many families faced with such a problem, where household members go to work or study every day, were helped by the acquisition of a kitten. Even the most massive and ferocious dogs stopped howling in the absence of their owners, redirecting their attention and tenderness to the little creature. It is worth noting that when two dogs live in the house, they do not wail in anticipation of the owners.
I will also accept what the dog howls at night, and her longing for a sexual partner can also explain when it is time to mate. This is especially true in males, which will show their need in other ways.
A yard dog can howl to respond to the barking, growling, whining of other dogs that are at a fairly large distance. Feeling like an alpha male, in this way he summons a flock or gives a signal about his belonging to it, having heard the call of the dominant individual.
A person may not catch a distant dog conversation or not attach importance to it, but it is he who most often becomes the cause of the pet’s howling. In this case, the dog will turn its muzzle in the direction from which it can hear the response of its fellows. Such roll calls occur most often in the daytime or evening, less often at night, especially frosty and calm, when sounds are carried much further.
Protracted “concerts” are not permanent, they can be a one-time occurrence or be repeated periodically, infrequently.
I can tell what the dog is howling in the yard at night, it can explain a different kind of sound. It comes from high-voltage transmission lines, transformer booths, a revolving weather vane, a wind-blown hole, and other objects. Since the frequency of such sounds is often at the limit of human perception, the owner is not always able to find out their source. But the dog picks up frequencies up to 40 kilohertz, which are ultrasonic for humans. The pitch of a note and a certain vibration can remind him of a distant “song” of congeners.
The noise of the daytime bustle overlaps the barely perceptible sounds, but at night the animal clearly distinguishes them and responds to them. This explains many of the ways a dog howls at night.
Such dogs are most dependent on the mercy of the owner. They get less communication with a person, unlike pets, in most cases they are deprived of a walk, content with a long chain. They have to come to terms with the fact that they defecate near their den, which, by nature, is unacceptable for dogs. In addition to the booth, they have nowhere else to get away from the cold, heat or precipitation, and if the kennel is poorly equipped, has not been cleaned for a long time and is teeming with fleas, then the dog has a hard time. He cannot find food or water when his bowl is empty, and whatever food the owner brings, the dog will have to be content with only it, there is no other way out. All these circumstances are the main reason why the dog howls at night on a chain more often than its other relatives.
Why Do Dogs Howl?
If the animal is unwell, feels hunger or thirsty discomfort, it can endure for a long time, but in the end it will declare with a loud howl, especially if the owner ignores her previous whining. In addition, in this way, the dog compensates for the limited need for communication.
There is one more significant reason for the night “concert”. In the wild, animal excrement not only denotes the limits of the property, but also informs the larger predator. Therefore, animals never defecate near their den. If the sewage was not removed in time near the booth, the dog may intuitively be afraid of being detected by the enemy, which is trying to scare away with a loud howl at night.
Death and disease
During illness, a person’s excretory function of the sweat glands increases. Sweat contains substances produced as a result of metabolism, including harmful metabolic products that accumulate. A dog’s scent, considered the most important of its senses, picks up the slightest changes in the owner’s body by the smell of sweat. Therefore, the dog learns about the onset of the disease before its symptoms appear.
Howling, the dog warns of the dangerous state of the owner and even sometimes blocks his path when leaving the house. If a person neglected the warning of his four-legged friend, the dog can wail heart-rendingly, and if it lives in the yard, then it can also dig the ground in despair with its paws.
This behavior of the animal gave rise to many rumors about the imminent death of its owners. Indeed, diseases are of varying complexity and can end in death, this happened much more often when there was no medical care and diagnostics. But the death signal is not a canine foresight, but rather a warning.
It is believed that the moon affects the condition and behavior of dogs, because they often howl at a full moon. Perhaps this is so. But the lunar phase, as a rule, affects yard dogs, not indoor dogs. It is worth considering the fact that the illumination of the full moon creates glare on certain objects and dark contrasting shadows, which are very mobile due to the wind and take on incomprehensible outlines. Rather, it is precisely such a deceptive situation that alarms the dog, and with a howl he warns the enemy, whom, as it seems to him, he sees in deep ephemeral shadows.
Many believe that it is at the moon that a dog howls at night, and the omen interprets this as a quick change in the weather. But neither wolves nor domestic dogs pay attention to the satellite of the Earth. With their heads thrown back high, they produce the most powerful lingering sound capable of reaching the highest notes. It is this howl that animals produce in the night, and you can clearly see them in this position just when the full moon is illuminated.
Dogs feel the onset of certain natural phenomena. Dogs started howling before the earthquake, when they were tens of kilometers from the epicenter. But even at a distance of thousands of kilometers, animals often wail during a distant disaster, although a person does not feel any tremors. There are many examples when dogs in the same way warned about the approach of a strong hurricane.
If the dog whines
Legends warn when a dog whines, you need to pay attention to your health. Undergo an examination at a polyclinic, carry out a number of preventive measures aimed at strengthening the body. If you are convinced that there are no diseases, then take a closer look at your pet. He may be feeling unwell, take him to the veterinary clinic for a checkup.
In an apartment or house
Indoors, the dog reacts even more to negative changes in energy. If a pet sits next to a wall and howls, this indicates unfavorable changes for the person who lives behind this obstacle.
If there is a sick person in the house and a four-legged friend sits next to his bed, whining and howling, the life of this person “hangs in the balance”.
A howling dog sitting on the doorstep symbolizes major financial losses and the deterioration in the well-being of the whole family, illness, sadness, grief. Bring him into the house or drive him out into the street.
A guest came to you, and the dog sat down next to you and began to howl, which means that the visitor has conceived deceit towards you. Take a closer look at this person, maybe she is only pretending to be a friend.
If the animal hides in a secluded place and howls, expect trouble.
On a passerby
Interpreting why a dog howls, folk signs call first of all to pay attention to the color of the animal:
- a white dog runs after a passer-by and howls, which means that a large profit awaits him (winning the lottery, receiving an inheritance, a big bonus);
- the rest of the colors are a sign of losses, illness, money spending.
Why does a dog howl in the yard or on the street
A sign that answers the question of what a dog is howling in the yard is interpreted depending on the number of dogs:
- a lonely stray doggie. a messenger of bad news from relatives from afar;
- when several four-legged howls outside the window, it means that exuberant fun with your participation is on the doorstep; for a girl, such a plot portends an imminent marriage.
A dog howls in the yard at night and digs the ground at the same time. a bad sign promising a funeral. If your dog starts up the rest of the dogs in the area with his howl, changes are not for the better expected for everyone.
Trouble awaits when a dog barks at a guest leaving the house.
If a four-legged friend howls at the sight of the newlyweds, this is a sign of a failed marriage. Husband and wife cannot build a decent social unit. A marriage is doomed to quarrels, misunderstandings and lack of desire to solve family problems. Divorce is imminent.
However, if the pet is white, the omen takes on a positive value. Happy newlyweds will have a replenishment soon.
Signs of what a dog howls
The general interpretation of the omens for which a dog howls is interpreted with the death of a person or a fire. A more detailed description depends on different circumstances:
- what kind of dog (domestic or homeless);
- what time of day;
- life nuances.
If you have an event planned, for example, a trip, a birthday celebration, and your pet begins to howl, this is a sure sign of failure. Reconsider your plans, the dog warns of the unfavorable end of the business you have begun. Sign can take the following meanings depending on how your pet howls:
- if the four-legged friend began to howl lingeringly, it means that he smelled death. The owner or someone from the family members was overcome by a terrible disease, the disease can be fatal;
- if the pet howls softly, resting his head on his paws, it means that he feels his death. Take the dog to the veterinarian, if it is dear to you, the animal is sick;
- when a faithful friend looks up and howls, legends promise fire. Fire can hit your home or your neighbors. Exercise caution, check if there is any leakage of gas or other explosive substances;
- when a pet dog whines and shakes its head in different directions, expect a series of troubles;
If a dog comes to the house and barks, howling and whining at the same time, this is a signal of unleashed evil spirits. Be careful when using sharp household appliances and be careful on the road.
If the dog howled on the doorstep of the house, it is necessary to remove it from the iconic place (the intersection of the dead and living world). Otherwise, it is a sure harbinger of death.
Folk omen: why a dog howls
From time immemorial, the howling of a dog is considered a manifestation of mystical power. The iconic animal has the ability to sense deceased people. A dog can determine physical and emotional disruptions in humans, a violation of his biofield and aura. When a dog howls, omen is important, as it is associated with a person’s life. Do not ignore the signs of fate, be sure to listen to popular beliefs and advice.
A dog howls at neighbors, a sign says that sad events will take place in their house. Pets are very sensitive to human physiological changes. One of the family members in the neighborhood is seriously ill, the animal notifies with its howl. You also need to be careful, as the dog can warn of a fire.
It is not difficult to understand why a dog howls.
Pet owners sometimes encounter such a phenomenon as dog howling, and they cannot even hear it themselves, but neighbors tell them. Why a dog howls. this question interests many, since the howl is shrouded in mystical omens and therefore frightens people. In fact, the reasons for howling are mostly mundane, and there are several reasons.
Causes of dog howling
Most often, dogs howl when left alone in the house. This is due to the characteristics of the temperament and mental characteristics of the animal. So, choleric individuals with a fine nervous organization experience unreasonable anxiety during the absence of the owner and begin to whine, and then howl, falling into a real hysteria. Upon the return of the owner, they are so happy that they may even bite him.
Dogs with a strong nervous system and a calm temperament howl very rarely, and most often this is due to the long loneliness of the animal.
On the chain, the dog howls due to boredom, lack of opportunity to run and constant imprisonment in the perimeter of the booth. Especially often the howl occurs in autumn and winter, when people do not go out into the yard so often, do not play with the dog, and forget to feed him.
The power of the full moon also affects dogs and they howl at the moon, become restless, cannot sleep soundly, whine and rush about. Howling of a dog is a kind of release of accumulated energy, sublimation.
But sometimes the dog starts howling at night, and it’s really scary, this is how the animal expresses its longing, pain and sadness. A safe, healthy, beloved dog will never howl at night, because he has no reason for melancholy.
Similar crying can be heard in dog hotels, houses where the owner left or was hospitalized, as abandoned dogs howl. A sick animal can also howl, but most often the dogs rush about from pain, whine, and do not find a place for themselves.
Do you know how long a pregnancy lasts in dogs? Pregnancy calendar in dogs.
Read about how to properly organize the mating of dogs here.
What to do if a dog howls
If a dog howls at home due to poor upbringing, that is, she is used to doing this in the absence of owners from the very puppyhood, then she will have to be brought up with harsh methods. The collar “Antilai” has a good effect, which is controlled remotely and at the first howls a stream of water splashes into the dog’s face.
This is very discouraging for the dog, who gets lost and forgets about his intentions. After a while, the animal tries to try again, but as a result it cools again with water. The owner at this time must be nearby, but out of sight of the animal, in order to control the upbringing process.
With a break in howling for more than half an hour, you need to go into the house, praise the animal, play with it and give it a new toy, and then leave again. Sometimes it takes more than one day to correct the dog’s behavior, and before leaving him alone, it is advisable to give him good physical activity for a walk, giving a release of energy, and this method allows you to wean the dog to howl.
If the reasons why the dog began to howl are not clear, then it is advisable to pay as much attention to it as possible, play with the animal or walk with it. If you suspect any disease that your pet is suffering from, such as arthritis or a tumor, you should visit a veterinary clinic.
The grief and melancholy of an animal is also treated with a kind attitude and long walks, because most of all, dogs love to walk.
An article about the life expectancy of dogs of various parods on our website.
Folk omens about the howling of a dog
In folk omens there are those that say why the dog is howling, and they do not bode well, since the dog howls, raising its head. to fire, and lowering it. to death. In fact, these signs are justified only in isolated cases, which is often explained by simple coincidence. The smoke from a real fire really bothers animals, from which they begin to rush and sniff, but the dog cannot predict the fire. The dog feels death, as well as its approach, it scares the dog, but the sensitivity can only extend to the people nearby, in which case the dog whines more often.
So, if a dog howls, then the most common reasons are:
- Longing and sadness
- Loneliness, cold and hunger
- Too little exercise for active animals
- Fear and the time of the full moon
- Pain in chronic diseases
How folk omens explain the howling of dogs?
For a long time, people have treated dogs as protectors and have always trusted their instincts. Therefore, when the howl of a watchdog sitting on a chain was heard in the courtyard, the owners were always wary and respected the received “tips”.
Superstitious people interpret the howling of domestic and yard dogs as follows:
The signs listed above are used mainly in relation to guard dogs that sit on a chain in a booth. As for pets living in an apartment, in their case, folk beliefs are slightly different.
So, for example, if a dog throws its head up and howls right in the house, it is likely that he smells a fire. If he bows his head to the floor. to a lingering illness of one of his masters or even death. It is believed that a sick person can emit a specific smell that only animals can smell and recognize.
Dogs are capable of experiencing not only feelings of loneliness, but also fear. If the object of fear is obvious (for example, the person who entered the yard), the dog will bark. If the fear is instinctive and not associated with real objects (for example, the dog feels a bad mood or the owner’s sadness). the animal may start howling and restlessly run around the yard or apartment.
Dogs have a very fine hearing and scent, and therefore can really inform you that thieves are walking around the yard or something is on fire somewhere. The dog can even hear litter between neighbors in the apartment through the wall, and also begin to howl.
Why does a dog howl and how to deal with it?
When your dog or a neighbor’s dog starts howling, thoughts of danger involuntarily creep in. Oil is also added to the fire by folk omens, which interpret dog howls mostly in a negative way.
Below we will tell you what the real reasons for this behavior of a pet can be and is it possible to somehow wean him from howling at night.
How to wean a dog to howl?
A dog’s howl can be frightening as well as annoying. How to deal with it? If you are faced with such a problem, we recommend using the instructions of dog handlers, which wean a four-legged pet from the habit of howling:
- Visit the veterinarian with the dog to have a specialist check the animal for diseases. If your dog starts howling in the evening or at night, try measuring your temperature yourself and giving him a drink. Stay close to him until the animal falls asleep.
- If your dog only howls when left alone, try to spend more time with it. Turn morning walks into active games so that the animal can spend more energy and only rest on the rug after you leave.
- Increase the number of walks, especially if you have a large breed dog. Let him run, play and interact with other dogs as long as possible. This requirement is most relevant for owners whose pets live in a booth and have very little contact even with people.
- If possible, do not leave the animal alone, especially for a long time. In critical situations, when you cannot take your dog with you, leave it with friends or a pet hotel.
- Always leave food and toys for the dog when you leave. But when you return, be sure to put the toys away. The animal should associate them only with your absence, otherwise, over time, he will get tired of such entertainment.
- Engage in education and training. Try to ignore the howling of the dog and reward the dog for being calm. It is also helpful to teach your pet the “voice” and “quiet” commands. An adult trained dog will definitely stop howling after the instruction “quiet”.
- If the dog howls to the music, just stop turning it on or focus less on it. If the dog realizes that she amuses you with her howling, you will have to listen to concerts even at night, if music plays under the windows of your apartment.
Communication, communication with other animals
Dogs living in the yard can use howls to communicate with each other or to communicate their whereabouts. Therefore, if dogs howl at night, do not take this as a harbinger of trouble.
What real reasons can make a dog howl??
Zoologists and cynologists are skeptical about most of the above superstitions. In their opinion, when a dog howls, first of all, it is worth paying attention to its well-being and state of health.
Most often, animals begin to howl for the following reasons:
Signs of why a dog howls
Even the most skeptical people have two or three superstitions in reserve, the veracity of which is beyond doubt. Whether it’s a black cat, clothes inside out, or a howling dog, omens can work on a subconscious level, overshadowing the voice of reason.
What does the popular rumor say about the mournfully howling dog? Here are just a few beliefs:
- If the animal sits motionless, with its head thrown back, and howls, then such serenades (which is called the moon) indicate that a fire will soon happen.
- The dog howls, lowering its head to the ground. it is worth waiting for a fatal misfortune. If at the same time she also digs the ground, then the event will happen very soon.
- According to legend, the dog always knows about its future death and broadcasts about it, howling in a sitting or lying position.
- If the animal howls to the left, or to the right, then from there it is worth waiting for trouble.
- The dog does not just howl, but at the same time shakes his head. then, as they say, trouble does not come alone, it is worth waiting for a series of tragic events.
Of course, to believe or not to believe is a personal matter, but still people want to understand why the dog howls.?
Why Do The Dogs Howl? The 8 Main Reasons
Why does the dog howl
Our smaller brothers, no, no, and they will remind you of what kind they are, piteously and piercingly howling throughout the whole area, like wild wolves. But why does the dog howl and is it worth it to be scared of this event, or is it better to try to understand the situation. Each person, of course, knows better what to do, but still it is worth considering all the options.
Causes of dog howling
What can a dog howl signal? Maybe the dog thus wants to tell us something? Dog handlers and veterinarians have several assumptions about this:
- “I am melancholy and sad.” If the dog howls when left alone, then this is an expression of unwillingness to be alone. A four-legged friend cannot understand why, getting together in the evening in a warm company, in the morning the owners are forced to leave. Some of them feel like they’ve been dumped.
- “I am sick”. Everyone knows that dogs are the most patient of creatures. But even their patience can run out, and howling can be a sign of internal illness. If your pet howls regularly, then you should seek advice from a veterinarian.
- “Oh, how glad I am!” Dogs are like people, they are all different. Some rejoice, cheerfully jumping up and down, others with sonorous barking and intense waving of their tail, but others, singing along, howling with delight. If this happens all the time when you meet, then you should not worry about such a manifestation of joy.
- The dog is a music lover. The dog has a fairly sensitive hearing, close to the human range. In addition, in terms of susceptibility, this indicator is much higher. dogs can distinguish notes with a difference of 1/8 of a tone. Shepherds learned to use this advantage, teaching dogs commands not with the help of gestures or voice, but using whistles. There is an opinion that four-legged friends have the same center in the cerebral cortex as a person, which is responsible for the perception of music, allowing not only to listen to it, but also to evaluate it based on their own preferences. This is also evidenced by the fact that dogs in some cases try to get away from the sound source, but sometimes they start howling to the tracks they like. Most often, the choice of pets falls on classical music.
- “Hey master, I’m afraid!” The full moon mystically affects not only humans, but also dogs. If a person can feel bad on the full moon, have problems sleeping, then the pet’s bright moon disk can simply scare. Dogs howl at the moon, because in many aspects they have a higher sensitivity than humans, therefore this period can also affect them more intensely. In addition to anxiety, animals, even when they are indoors, can show aggression on a full moon.
- Communication with relatives. Of course, apartment dogs are deprived of such pleasure. to communicate with their own kind from neighboring apartments or entrances. But in private sectors, dogs even with great pleasure notify the surrounding area with their howl. As soon as one dog in the yard howls, all the others join it.
- Howl as an expression of discontent. Dogs are highly emotional. It is alien to them to hide emotions, be it joy, sadness, or dissatisfaction with the current situation. The pet may start howling before procedures that he does not like. washing, cutting, brushing teeth or dressing wounds. And they do it so skillfully that sometimes the “execution” is postponed.
- Howl as attention-grabbing. Dogs, especially young ones, require increased attention to themselves, they want to be petted and played. And often, howling is another way to remind the owner of yourself. In this situation, you need to pay attention to him only after the howling stops.
Logical explanation of some superstitions
There is a logical scientific explanation for many mystical phenomena, what does science say about folk signs about how?
There are no answers to why dogs smell fires before they start, because before the smoke appears, the dog cannot smell anything. But with the approaching death of a person, some solutions have been found. Experts have proven that dogs can feel the natural death of a dog, and all thanks to a sensitive sense of smell.
On the eve of death, the human body starts extinction processes that are irreversible. The metabolism slows down significantly, the amount of energy consumed decreases, a special smell emanates from a person, which a dog’s nose can catch. And the dog lowers its nose to the ground not because the person will be buried, but in order not to feel this dying “aroma”.
In this case, the howl of the dog can alternate with a plaintive whine, and the pet often avoids the sick owner, tries to hide from him, tucking his tail.
Is it possible to wean a dog to howl and how to do it
If the pet actively reacts to any sounds. an alarm siren, music, howling of other dogs, then in this case you just need to wait for them to stop.
In the event of a lonely howling, when no one is at home, you should think about entertainment for your beloved dog. You can equip it with rubber toys, squeaks, and also leave the radio on so that the dog hears that he is not alone. At the same time, returning home, you need to surround the animal with attention, caress and play with it.
You can devote some time to weaning, going out the door, and returning only after the good behavior of the four-legged friend. The pet must understand that its owner will return to him, only on condition of silence.
If howling is an easy way to get attention, ignore it if possible. The dog should not achieve what he wants in this way.
In this case, the training method is also successfully applied. As soon as the dog starts to howl, you need to give it a clear command: “Speak!” and accompany it with praise. Then the command “Quiet!” Is given in the same tone. Of course, initially you should not expect complete obedience, but as soon as the pet obeyed, you must answer: “Good.” And be sure to reinforce your successes with your favorite delicacy. In the process of training, the last phrase must be pronounced later and later, increasing the time. Dogs catch everything on the fly, and they will soon learn to understand and execute these commands.
There are situations when the dog “outgrows” its small inclinations, and, having stopped gnawing shoes and making puddles, the animal throws and howls.
Of course, weaning is necessary if howling for a dog is a common whim, an activity out of boredom. In other cases, he helps her talk about her problems and needs, is a means of communication or a way to have fun, sing. After all, pets have a say too.
Why do animals howl?
Animals make different sounds to express different wants, needs, and feelings, but a dog’s howl, in particular, is unmistakable. On the other hand, the cause of howling in dogs may generally be less clear. So why does the dog howl?
Dealing with excessive howling in dogs?
Pet irritation can lead to howling
If your neighbors call you and tell you that your dog is howling, When you are at work, your dog’s excessive howling may be triggered by separation anxiety. Separation howling occurs only when the dog is left alone or apart from its owner. This type of howling is usually accompanied by at least one other symptom of separation anxiety, such as pacing, impaired behavior, agitation, overactiveness, depression, or other signs of distress.
Why does a dog howl on the street, at home, on a chain, day and night? Diagnosing and treating howling dog health problems
Animal health problems as the cause of howling
Dogs sometimes howl when they are in pain or not feeling well. If your dog starts howling or howls more than usual, take him to the veterinarian to rule out illness, pathology and injury.
Why do dogs howl day or night?
Howl. deeply ingrained behavior. Howling like a wolf in animals. it is a loud, lingering, sad cry. It differs from barking, which is usually short and explosive.
A dog can howl for the same reasons as wolves. However, as dogs evolved and became closer to humans, some of their reasons for howling may have evolved as well. Here are some reasons your dog might howl:
- Signal to the pack: “Like wolves, dogs howl to help pack members return home.” This applies not only to wild dogs that run in real packs, but also to pets who view their human family and caretakers as part of their pack. This may explain why your dog howls when you or another family member has been away from home for a while.
- To repel predators and declare their territory: Dogs use howls to announce to rival dogs and potential threats that territory is theirs and should stay away. This could be the reason that one howling dog can cause every dog in the neighborhood to start howling. they all talk to each other to tell each other who occupies which territory. Two huskies howl lying on the shore of the lake. In response to this noise: Your dog may howl in response to a nearby dog. Similarly, a puppy’s howl occurs at a siren, musical instrument, sound on TV or its own howl. Equally, this can mean that the pet is protesting because he does not like the noise, or, conversely, it can mean that he likes everything and wants to join.!
- To express emotional pain: Dogs can howl to express fear, worry, or sadness and signal their desire for comfort. Separation anxiety dogs often howl when left alone by their owners.
- To express physical pain: Likewise, dogs in physical pain or discomfort may howl to inform their owners that they need attention. If the cause of your dog’s howl is unclear, it is a good idea to test him for signs of pain. If your pet continues to howl and you cannot understand why this is happening, contact your veterinarian. You will also likely notice that your dog likes to tilt his head towards the sky to make this vocalizing sound.
- There are many reasons why dogs tilt their heads, but this provides little information on why dogs can “howl at the moon.” Many people believe this is because they align their vocal cords and allow more airflow from the chest to enable them to provide this type of vocalization. Others speculate that this allows sound waves to travel further, allowing more dogs or creatures to know that they are there.
Problems associated with howling in dogs, which should be ruled out in the first place:
- Dealing with excessive howling?
- Howling is one of the many forms of voice communication used by dogs.
- Animals howl to attract attention, connect with others and announce their presence.
- Some dogs also howl in response to high-pitched sounds, such as emergency vehicle sirens or musical instruments.
- Read on to find out what to do if your dog howls excessively.
- Problems to be ruled out first
Can a dog be trained to stop it from howling??
Because dogs can howl for a variety of reasons, teaching them not to howl is sometimes difficult, but sometimes. possibly. In the case of pain or a direct reaction of the animal to noise, probably also with a rare howl. no training needed. But if your dog is great at encouraging the rest of the dog population in the area to howl in the so-called choir at night, you can teach them. Since the howl. this is a behavioral response, it may take longer to teach them to stop doing it. Never punish a pet that howls, because dogs rarely understand why they are being punished. Instead, reward him for good behavior. in this case, when he stops howling, give him a lot of love or a tasty treat from time to time. You can also redirect his attention to something more productive when he starts howling.
So why do dogs howl? It turns out there are many reasons. One thing seems obvious though: When your puppy howls, it often means he wants your attention.!
Why does a dog howl: reasons and signs
Joyful squealing or threatening barking is familiar to the human ear. Here the animal rejoices at the return of the owners, but in another case it reminds that it is guarding the territory and gives an unambiguous signal: “do not come near”. However, hearing completely different sounds, you involuntarily wonder why the dog is howling right now.?
Howls belong to another category of canine “speech”. Irrationally, they cause anxiety and anxiety, I recall the ancient omen that the dog howls at the dead. A person is uncomfortable to hear these sounds, and he wants to be away.
Howl at the moon
The full moon has an inexplicable mystical effect on living beings. Full moon people often suffer from insomnia, and dogs begin to howl at the moon. They experience anxiety, fear, and for no apparent reason. For a pet, this is the only way to “let off steam” and give nature excruciating sensations that prevent you from sleeping peacefully.
Howl in the apartment
When neighbors hear plaintive howls in the apartment, in most cases this speaks of the loneliness of the animal and its desperate melancholy. Some breeds or individuals are so strongly human-oriented that, being locked in four walls, they begin to howl, expressing sadness and hope for the soon return of the owner in all possible ways.
Howl to music
Inherent in music lover dogs. Some individuals react sharply and positively to music. They can “sing along” to the music center or play any instrument. On the Internet, if you wish, you can find videos where the owner plays the guitar or piano, and the pet sits nearby and “sings”. True, such a reaction to music is characteristic of a minority of dogs.
Scientists have found that the brain of a four-legged pet also contains a center that helps to feel and appreciate music.
An interesting fact: the greatest preference among dogs is the music of classical composers. On the contrary, many modern tracks encourage the animal to hide as far as possible from the sound source.
Howl in the afternoon
Howling during the day speaks of the variety of emotions:
- The owner has returned, and the dog howls from overwhelming emotions.
- No one is around, and the pet is bored and sad.
- It’s feeding time and the bowls are empty.
- It’s time to go for a walk, and the owner pulls out into the street.
- The animal wants to be thrown a ball or played with a bone, and the main person for some reason ignores the pet.
- A sudden loud sound can cause fear during the day, so the dog begins to howl and whine.
- The danger can arise at any time of the day, and the animal will try to warn about a fire or other tragedies without looking at the clock.
Folk omens associated with behavior
Wolves were domesticated so long ago that over the centuries, many folk signs associated with the howling of a dog have accumulated.
The ancestors interpreted the behavior of pets as follows:
- Howling close to a person is a signal of illness or a possible accident;
- Such sounds before an important event indicate possible difficulties and problems;
- The animal howls and looks straight ahead. to be at war;
- Howling at night. evil spirits have penetrated into the yard, but the vigilant guard does not let her in;
- The dog howls near the owner’s bed and cannot find a place for himself. an early illness;
- Whining and howling while lying down is a harbinger of his own death;
- Howling and digging. the death of a family member;
- An unfamiliar dog does not leave, sits at the doorway and howls. bad changes in life;
- The pet rolls on the ground and howls. significant changes of any nature;
- Howl at the guest. a hypocritical person came with bad thoughts;
- Howling at night, looking at the gate. news of trouble will come from loved ones or the owner will suffer by leaving the yard;
- An unfamiliar dog is caught up in the trail and howls is a bad sign;
- The dog howls at the moon. the weather will change;
- The pet looks straight up and continues to howl. informs of an imminent fire.
Belief or ignorance of beliefs is an independent choice of each person, but some of them are based on the sense and hearing of an animal, incomparable with human.
Howl at night
Howling at night can indicate several factors:
- The animal is sick, especially for breeds that rarely make sounds.
- Nearby danger, and such that the pet experiences fear and anxiety.
- The dog has slept and wants to communicate and play, but the owners are asleep and do not pay attention to him. A sudden howl over the ear is guaranteed to make the owner jump out of bed.
- Premonition of illness or death of a loved one. To a greater extent, this refers to beliefs, but there are established facts when tragic events followed the howl of a dog buried its face in the ground. As part of the research, it was found that due to its sensitive sense of smell, the animal feels a changed smell from a sick owner, and its character is such that the dog is interpreted as an undoubted sign of extinction.