Why does a dog’s mouth smell like rotten?
The causes of the stench may differ in animals of different ages. Let’s consider them in detail.
What to do if your dog’s mouth stinks of rotten stuff?
If the pet does not have serious diseases, he will just need to brush his teeth. Do it in one of the following ways:
- Use a special dog paste and a soft brush. Try to gently brush your animal’s teeth with these products. Be prepared for the dog to resist. Be sure to calm your dog down, do not yell at him, do not use force against your pet. After this procedure, play with your pet so that he begins to perceive brushing as something good.
- Use gauze: wrap your own finger in it, soak it in an antiseptic solution. Open the dog’s mouth, gently brush away plaque, moving from top to bottom of the tooth enamel. As in the previous case, after such a procedure, the animal must be encouraged. Just do not use sweets for the presented purpose, otherwise all your efforts will go to waste.
If you find tartar in your pet, contact your veterinarian. There he will undergo ultrasonic cleaning under general anesthesia. If necessary, the doctor will also remove diseased teeth. After the procedure, an unpleasant odor may come from the pet’s mouth, but it usually goes away after three days. With proper feeding of the dog, the use of special hygiene products, re-formation of tartar can be avoided.
With helminthic invasion, the pet will be prescribed special pills or drops for deworming. If there are other animals in the house, they are also advised to take a course of such drugs. In the future, such medications will need to be taken for preventive purposes according to the schedule established by the veterinarian.
For diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, kidney disease, liver disease, hormonal problems, the doctor will develop a treatment regimen for the underlying disease. In this case, after the pet recovers, the unpleasant smell will go away by itself. The owner only needs to follow the basic rules of oral hygiene so that dental problems are not added to common diseases. With a competent approach to treatment, it is possible to cope with the presented problem in a few weeks.
How to establish the cause?
It is extremely difficult to independently figure out why a rotten smell is felt from a dog. It is recommended that in the situation presented, immediately contact your veterinarian. If this is not possible, proceed as follows:
- Assess the general condition of your pet. If he eats normally, plays a lot, willingly goes for a walk, most likely, the problem is in the oral cavity. If the dog is anxious, sleeps for a long time, refuses to eat. the problem is in the condition of the internal organs. Veterinarian consultation shown.
- If dental problems are suspected, examine the animal’s mouth. If he finds food stuck between his teeth, yellow plaque, you can cope with the problem on your own. If the formation of large foci of inflammation, the formation of tartar is observed in the mouth, you need to consult a doctor without delay.
If signs of severe pathology are found, you will need to undergo a full examination by a veterinarian, take blood and urine tests, and do an ultrasound scan. The sooner you take such measures, the faster you can get rid of the disease.
In this category of pets, the appearance of an unpleasant odor is usually associated with dental problems. They may have:
- Formation of large gaps in the dentition in which food gets stuck. In the presented situation, it is important for the dog breeder to monitor the state of the oral cavity, to clean out the remains of food. As the pet grows older, this problem will go away.
- Unsuccessful replacement of primary teeth with molars. During this process, the old enamel begins to rot, which is why the dog smells of rotten meat from the mouth. The problem is solved by the removal of unnecessary milk teeth and the treatment of molars (if necessary).
- Injury to the gums. It is often observed in puppies pulling various sticks, branches, garbage in the street into their mouths. Thus, they can damage the mucous membrane, which leads to the appearance of a putrid odor.
Less often, young animals have diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, kidneys, liver, accompanied by the appearance of a stench. You can suspect them if a previously active, cheerful pet suddenly stops playing, becomes lazy, apathetic, refuses his favorite food. In such a situation, it is important to contact the veterinarian early in order to have time to save the pet from death.
In adult dogs
In this category of animals, the appearance of bad breath can be triggered by the following reasons:
- Tartar formation. It appears as a result of non-observance of basic rules of oral hygiene. It is not dangerous for a pet’s life, but it will constantly provoke the appearance of a stench from the mouth, bleeding gums, destruction of tooth enamel.
- The appearance of malignant neoplasms in the oral cavity. They look like large swollen bumps.
- Diseases of the kidneys, genitourinary system. With these ailments, a distinct smell of acetone will be heard from the mouth of the animal. When such a symptom appears, it is recommended to immediately consult a doctor in order to begin qualified treatment of the underlying disease.
- Gingivitis is an inflammation of the gums. It can be an independent disease or a symptom of another disorder. It is observed with vitamin deficiency, gastrointestinal diseases, and may be accompanied by the formation of large ulcers and inflammations on the mucous membrane. Also requires systemic treatment.
- Hormonal problems are disorders of the pancreas or thyroid gland. Diabetes mellitus is often the cause of the stench. With this pathology, a distinct smell of acetone also appears, which will intensify as the disease progresses.
- Cirrhosis of the liver. Pathology is accompanied by a strong smell of rotting flesh.
- Worm infestation. With it, parasites quickly fill the intestines of the dog, which leads to indigestion. This is what causes the stench. The disorder can be caused by various types of worms.
- Allergy to food, pollen, drugs.
- Fungal or bacterial infections of the mouth. They should be suspected if the smell of rotten fish appears from the dog’s mouth. In this case, the pet is recommended to take antibacterial or antifungal drugs.
Also, in adult pets, bad breath can be caused by reasons not directly related to the state of health. It often occurs in animals that love to pick up carrion and garbage on the street. The symptom is also typical for individuals who drink water from the tap, malnourished, with a short muzzle with sagging lips (they often have food stuck in their teeth).
Does the rotten smell from the dog’s mouth indicate any disease or is it just tartar??
When starting a pet, you need to know why the dog smells like rotten meat from the mouth, and how to treat it. This symptom can manifest itself in animals of different ages and breeds. He often points to serious illnesses that require immediate treatment.
The owner of the pet should remember that a nasty smell from the dog’s mouth always indicates that there is a problem. Basically, this is improper dental care, less often. disruption of the work of internal organs and systems. In all the cases presented, only an experienced physician can help to cope with the problem.
Caring for your dog’s mouth
You can avoid the appearance of a bad smell from the pet’s mouth by following simple preventive recommendations. They provide:
- Regular (at least once a year) visits to the veterinarian, undergoing a full examination, blood tests and other tests prescribed by the doctor. This will allow you to timely identify various diseases and begin their treatment before they give tangible symptoms.
- Carrying out deworming. It must be performed even if you are sure that the animal has not had contact with other dogs, and it could not pick up parasites anywhere.
- Correction of the diet. Pet owners should completely eliminate fried, fatty, overly salty, and sugary foods (especially baked goods) from their diet. Be sure to add vegetables, fruits, it is useful to periodically feed your pet tomatoes. It is better to give them raw. Products such as special chewing sticks help you clean your teeth well and prevent tartar formation.
- Frequent use of dog chew toys. They also help to care for the oral cavity. If the pet eats dry food, they should be given constantly.
- Regular brushing of your teeth. It should be done at least three times a week. It is necessary to use special pastes for dogs for the presented purpose (products for humans are categorically contraindicated for animals), children’s toothbrushes. Special oral sprays should be used as recommended by the dentist.
If a puppy is growing up in your house, you need to watch his teeth change. If you have any problems, contact your veterinarian right away. He will help eliminate swelling of the gums, remove the milk incisors that have not fallen out and give his recommendations for caring for the oral cavity of a young dog. If you strictly follow his instructions, you will not encounter the appearance of a stench from the mouth of an animal.
How to remove a terrible smell from a pet’s mouth
Dogs, like cats, often suffer from bad breath. An unpleasant odor from the mouth in dogs, known as halitosis, is a common reason for owners to visit veterinary clinics.
Dog owners should be aware that bad breath is often one of the symptoms of diseases of the digestive system and important organs such as the liver and kidneys that are dangerous for the dog.
Mostly, an unpleasant odor from a dog’s mouth is a consequence of the effect of microorganisms on the mucous membrane and food residues in the oral cavity. In the case when the dog is young and practically healthy, the microflora in the oral cavity independently copes with the putrid microflora that has entered the dog’s body.
Depending on the age of the dog, veterinarians conditionally subdivide the factors that provide and provoke the appearance of an unpleasant odor in a dog into the following reasons.
Bad breath in young dogs
In young dogs, an unpleasant odor from the mouth occurs in the following cases:
- During the change of teeth, when the milk teeth change and permanent teeth begin to grow in their place. The dog has an abnormal bite. All this can lead to the formation of gaps between the teeth, in which food gets stuck, and which subsequently decomposes, leading to the appearance of an unpleasant odor from the oral cavity.
- During the intake of roughage, as well as when foreign objects enter, the dog is mechanically damaged the mucous membrane. As a result, the dog has wounds and erosion on the mucous membrane, where various microorganisms multiply intensively, leading to the appearance of an unpleasant odor from the oral cavity.
- Other more serious diseases of the internal organs in young dogs, which can lead to bad breath, are rare.
Why Does a Puppy‘s Breath Smell That Way?
Unpleasant odor, stinks from the mouth of the dog for reasons, from which and treatment
Bad breath from dogs is called halitosis. The reasons for this phenomenon are:. violations when changing teeth;. trauma to the oral cavity or ingress of a foreign body;. digestive problems;. diseases of the internal organs;. change of diet;. bad habits (eating dirty food).
If you find an unpleasant odor, you should definitely contact your veterinarian. He will identify the cause of the bad smell and make a diagnosis, prescribe treatment.
Bad breath in a dog during the change of milk teeth what to do
Loss of milk teeth occurs in puppies. In place of milk teeth, bleeding pits remain in the gums. The blood combines with the dog’s saliva and can give off an unpleasant odor. This does not require special treatment, the gums will heal on their own and the smell will disappear.
Save yourself who helps: why does the dog smell from the mouth?
This method will help if your pet’s diet has changed.
To fight bacteria in the mouth, use baking soda. Throw 1 tbsp into a glass of warm water. baking soda, moisten a cotton pad in the resulting solution. Wipe the tongue, teeth, cheeks of the pet with a damp disc. Repeat this treatment several times and the smell will disappear.
Causes of bad breath in dogs
Scientifically, bad breath is called halitosis. A similar pathology develops for many reasons, we list the most common of them:
The dog has a strong breath if there is a dental problem. An unpleasant breath from the mouth can be, for example, with gingivitis, when the gums are inflamed. It also smells bad from an animal with stomatitis or glossitis, tartar. This problem also occurs in very young puppies, when the molars have already “hatched”, but the milk teeth have not yet left their mouths. It also smells bad from the mouth of old dogs, whose teeth are in poor condition due to age;
Other reasons why a nasty smell can come from the pet’s mouth are diseases of the nasopharynx. laryngitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis;
It happens that the cause of bad breath lies in inadequate or completely absent oral hygiene. In the process of chewing between the teeth of the dog, food particles get stuck, which begin to “smell”;
Bad breath in a dog also happens with improper feeding, when only meat and a little other protein food is in the animal’s bowl, but there is no carbohydrate food in the diet at all;
An unpleasant smell from the dog’s mouth can be felt even when the animal has eaten some kind of spoiled product like an old rotten bone or even worse (carrion, excrement). True, in such cases, we are not talking about halitosis, since the smell from the mouth soon becomes normal;
The “aroma” of acetone from the dog’s mouth is a sign of diabetes mellitus. The same sharp chemical odor occurs with an imbalance of carbohydrates in the body;
A sweetish rotten odor from the dog’s mouth can signal oncological processes in the oral cavity (for example, cancer of the gums or tongue) or gastrointestinal tract (stomach, intestines);
Specifically smells from the mouth in dogs with problematic liver and biliary tract (biliary dyskinesia, hepatitis, cirrhosis, liver necrosis). Also, a bad smell can be felt from the mouth of a dog suffering from gastrointestinal ailments (gastritis, colitis, intestinal dysbiosis, etc.);
Bad breath in a dog
Bad breath in a dog in most cases signals a problem, and it is not always the fault of the oral cavity disease. For example, sometimes the breath of dogs with renal or endocrine ailments smells disgusting. In this article, we will try to identify the causes of bad breath in a dog.
What to do to keep your pet from smelling
So, an unpleasant smell can arise both for a completely harmless reason (for example, because the dog ate something wrong), and because of a serious illness. How to get rid of bad breath from your dog? To begin with, it is worth observing the four-legged friend: are there any symptoms of a serious illness besides the unpleasant amber from the mouth? And if there are alarming symptoms, then it is better to see a specialist as soon as possible. Naturally, treating a dog’s bad breath in such cases will involve healing the underlying disease. For example, if a dog’s breath smells due to pyelonephritis (inflammation of the kidneys), then therapy with the use of antibiotics, diuretics and herbal remedies, antispasmodics and painkillers will certainly be required. After proper treatment, the problem of bad breath usually disappears.
But it was not in vain that we mentioned that the main reasons why pets have bad breath are still problems with the oral cavity. If the dog is relatively healthy, but suddenly began to eat poorly, if his gums are swollen and red, if his teeth are loose, salivation is increased, then you should visit a veterinary dentist as soon as possible. In most cases, after the manipulations of the dog’s dentist, the bad smell disappears from the mouth of the animal, although sometimes, unfortunately, the problem turns out to be much more global when the dentist is unable to help. The same oncology, for obvious reasons, cannot be cured as quickly as, for example, stomatitis or caries.
Preventing bad breath in your dog
In order to prevent such a scourge as halitosis, it is important to systematically perform such simple actions:
It is required to make visits to the clinic annually for prophylaxis. Plus, it is advisable to visit from time to time and a veterinarian-dentist;
Let some reckless owners believe that brushing dogs’ teeth is a whim. In fact, this is a necessary procedure that must be carried out at least once every 4-5 days. For such purposes, you can use a purchased special toothbrush or a piece of bandage that the owner should wrap around his finger, as well as paste for animal teeth;
In addition to the paste, the pet’s teeth can be cleaned with the help of special treats. bones (rawhide, vegetables, cereals, etc.). Such products are not only healthy, but also tasty, dogs eat them with pleasure;
If the condition of the dog’s teeth is neglected, then a regular brush and paste may not help. Even natural plaque can be difficult to remove, what can we say about tartar? So in some cases, it is more advisable to immediately go to veterinary dentistry, where the animal’s teeth will be cleaned with the help of ultrasound (such a service in clinics will cost about 1,500-3,000 rubles);
A big role in how the dog’s mouth smells is influenced by the animal’s diet. There are two options: feeding with high-quality premium food or natural and varied food (in addition to meat, dogs also need vegetables, cereals, and fermented milk products). Poor quality, spoiled or monotonous food is the enemy of dental health. Tartar is one of the reasons a dog’s mouth smells unpleasant. In order to prevent such a problem, it is important to regularly give your pet raw vegetables, bones, crackers, and if the animal is accustomed to dry food, then, most likely, tartar will not appear;
Having felt that the pet’s mouth suddenly began to smell unpleasant, you can resort to rinsing with unheated and strained chamomile broth three times a day;
If the gums of the animal often look inflamed, a good effect will give 3 times a day rinsing with hydrogen peroxide (1%) or Chlorhexidine;
Experienced dog breeders know that natural tomato juice (or the tomatoes themselves) can be used to prevent tartar problems. Juice or chopped vegetables are added to the pet’s food twice to three times a week;
Bad breath from a dog’s mouth: why does it smell from the mouth of a pet, what to do?
Bad breath (or halitosis) is not normal, but it does not always indicate a pathology in the dog. The stench is often provoked by rotting pieces of food stuck in the interdental spaces, and plaque, but in some cases it is the result of severe diseases of the respiratory, digestive and excretory systems. The task of the specialist in this case is information about the life of the pet and determine what could have caused the stench. How to get rid of a bad dog smell?
How to get rid of bad breath from your pet, depending on its cause?
Depending on the cause of halitosis, you can get rid of the unpleasant odor using different means:
- Dental calculus. The best way to remove deposits is ultrasonic cleaning. The procedure is painless, but for large and restless animals it is better to carry out it under anesthesia. After that, the teeth are treated with an antiseptic solution, polished with special brushes and abrasive pastes, covered with a fluoride preparation. this helps to protect the enamel from the rapid accumulation of plaque on its surface. Tomatoes need to be introduced into the pet’s diet. with their help, plaque is easier to clean off during home brushing.
- Oral cavity trauma. It is necessary to stop the source of the pathogenic flora that provokes the unpleasant odor. It is necessary to remove the foreign body that led to tissue injury, and, if necessary, suture the wound. Until she heals, you need to regularly carry out her antiseptic treatment.
- Diseases of the digestive system. To eliminate the unpleasant odor, in addition to the main treatment, you need to follow a diet. During illness, the dog needs to be fed with special dietary food or slimy porridges with lean meat. chicken, turkey and veal. In the first days of illness, the pet should only drink water. This is necessary to reduce the severity of the inflammatory process that provokes bad breath.
- Diabetes. With this disease, it is necessary to maintain the level of glucose (sugar) in the blood within acceptable limits, not only by taking special medications, but also by diet. Violation of metabolic processes leads to the appearance of the smell of acetone from the mouth, characteristic of this pathology. It is necessary to avoid overfeeding the dog. being overweight complicates the course of the disease. The pet must be fed with special dietary feed or natural food with a minimum of fats and carbohydrates. You can not give the animal food from the master’s table, corn and buckwheat porridge, grapes.
- Helminthiasis. After removing the worms, you need to give the pet sorbents to cleanse the body of toxins and get rid of bad breath. For severe intoxication, saline droppers and supportive medications are also prescribed.
Regardless of the cause of halitosis, you need to maintain your dog’s oral hygiene. It is necessary to teach your pet to brush your teeth from childhood. It is better to carry out this procedure together: one person should hold the dog, the other should brush his teeth. For puppies, this can be done with a clean cloth, for older animals. with a brush or a rubber tip on a medium hard finger and a special toothpaste.
If your pet has an unpleasant odor, the first step is to analyze its diet. It stinks from the mouth after the pet has eaten legumes, fresh cabbage, eggs, fish, flour products. carbohydrates provoke an increased reproduction of pathogenic flora in the oral cavity and the appearance of a nasty smell. An excess of protein in the body leads to a rotten smell from the mouth. a consequence of excessive consumption of meat and by-products. Normally, the pet’s daily diet should include 70% of meat food, 30%, cereals, vegetables, herbs and a little sour milk products.
Another cause of stench from the mouth is the pet’s eating rotten food. Pet bowls should be washed after each feed. The folds on the face of brachycephalic dogs should be regularly inspected and cleaned of food debris. These breeds include bulldogs, boxers, pugs, Pekingese, etc. It is necessary to immediately suppress the pet’s intention to eat leftovers from the bin and from the ground, until it becomes a habit.
Why a dog can smell unpleasant from the mouth?
When asked why pets smell bad from the mouth, veterinarians name the 2 most common reasons: lack or lack of oral hygiene and poor nutrition. It is mistakenly believed that the consumption of dry food, hard vegetables and special treats prevents the formation of tartar. In fact, these measures reduce the likelihood of plaque formation, but regular teeth cleaning, including professional ones, helps to completely protect the enamel from pathological deposits. Less commonly, the stench is a consequence of pathology.
When diagnosing halitosis, the veterinarian first of all asks the owner about the mode of life, diet and diseases suffered by the pet, after which he examines the mouth of the animal. Often, to remove the foul odor, it is enough to remove the tartar and further maintain oral hygiene. If an internal pathology is suspected, the following studies are carried out:
- general and biochemical blood test;
- general urine analysis;
- tests for viral infections in the body;
- X-ray of the jaw (for example, if there is a suspicion of a pathology associated with improper eruption of permanent teeth);
- Ultrasound of internal organs.
Related symptoms that should alert
The following signs indicate the presence of pathology:
- change in appetite;
- shortness of breath. the animal sneezes and tries to rub its nose against surrounding objects;
- dryness and yellowness of the mucous membranes of the oral cavity;
- discharge from the nasal passages;
- vomiting (vomit may contain blood, mucus and bile);
- increased urination;
- diarrhea (helminth eggs can be seen in the feces);
- a sharp increase or decrease in weight;
- high temperature;
- weakness, lethargy and apathy.
Puppies have an unpleasant smell from the mouth due to the premature change of milk teeth to permanent or improper bite. In large interdental spaces, food pieces accumulate, which rot and provoke increased reproduction of pathogenic flora and the appearance of odor. The stench also occurs due to the eruption of molars, when the milk teeth have not yet fallen out. In this case, the latter begins to rot, which leads to inflammation of the gums and to the appearance of a bad smell.
Depending on what the dog’s mouth smells like, you can judge the reasons for the stench:
- ammonia or urine. diseases of the genitourinary system;
- a very strong smell of rotten meat. severe liver pathologies, most often in the last stages;
- swampy smell. ENT diseases;
- sour smell. disturbances in the functioning of the digestive system;
- iron. an inflammatory process associated with trauma to the oral cavity;
- acetone. diabetes mellitus;
- rot. infestation with parasites;
- weak unpleasant odor. dry mouth due to improper diet, fluid deficiency, taking certain medications (antihistamines, diuretics, tranquilizers, etc.);
- sweet rotten smell. cancers of the oral cavity or digestive system.
Why does the dog smell from the mouth??
Many dog owners report that pets have bad breath. It would seem that the food is good, and there are no digestive problems. so where does the problem come from? Let’s talk about the causes of bad breath in dogs and how to prevent it.
Bad breath in a dog: causes
While in humans, bad breath most often indicates digestive problems, in dogs, in most cases, oral diseases are the cause of bad breath.
The most common of these are tartar, periodontal disease and gingivitis. All these diseases are interrelated, since one provokes the emergence of another.
5 Reasons Your Dog’s Breath Smells and How to Fix It
For example, tartar is formed from accumulated plaque that has not been removed in a timely manner. In turn, the formation of tartar promotes the multiplication of pathogenic microorganisms and, as a result, provokes periodontal disease (inflammation of the tissues surrounding the tooth) and gingivitis (inflammation of the gum tissue). Inflammatory processes in the oral cavity are the answer to the question of why dogs have bad breath.
over, if measures are not taken in a timely manner and treatment is not started, the lesions will spread to the teeth and bones of the jaw, periodontitis will develop, the consequences of which are irreversible. So the health and even life of your dog depends on the promptness of the intervention.
But, as with almost all diseases, the problem is easier to prevent than to fix. over, dental plaque with all the ensuing consequences is quite easy to prevent if you know how.
Prevention of tartar in dogs
Prevention of dental calculus and oral diseases in dogs involves:
As you can see, the above measures are easy to put into daily practice and become part of basic care. Each of these steps will help keep your pet’s mouth healthy and avoid serious future consequences. And, of course, thanks to them, you can forever forget about such a problem as a strong smell from the dog’s mouth.
Protect the health of your four-legged friends!
Bad smell reasons
To determine the true causes of an unpleasant odor from the dog’s mouth, the owner needs to pay attention to exactly how halitosis manifests itself. Depending on what exactly the pet stinks with, we can assume the following deviations in the state of his health:
- Dental problems, damage to the oral mucosa. This is one of the most common and likely causes of bad “odor” in the dog’s mouth. If a dog’s mouth odor is rotten or rotten, the reason may be poor oral hygiene of the pet, tartar, periodontitis and other diseases of the teeth and gums. When the mucous membrane of the gums, palate or tongue is damaged, ulcers appear, which are a favorable breeding ground for bacteria and also provoke changes in odor. In puppies, the stench occurs when changing milk teeth to molars.
- Disorders in the digestive tract. If your dog smells like rotten fish, this may be a symptom of stomach, intestinal, and liver problems. Sometimes the cause of the stench is less dangerous and lies in the wrong diet. Serious gastrointestinal pathologies are usually accompanied not only by an unpleasant odor, but also by other signs. nausea, vomiting, refusal to eat, deterioration of the general condition. In liver diseases, the stench from the mouth is combined with yellowing of the skin and sclera of the eyes.
- Diseases of the urinary system. Ammonia odor from the mouth of a mature dog in most cases is associated with pathologies of the kidneys and bladder, in particular with chronic renal failure.
- Diabetes. This disease can be suspected if the dog smells of sour fruit from the mouth, and the animal often drinks a lot, quickly loses weight and urinates a lot.
These are not all possible sources of bad breath from a dog. So, the stench can be caused by some infectious diseases and neoplasms in the respiratory organs, which carry a serious danger to the health and life of the pet. Therefore, you should not try to find out on your own why the dog has a bad breath. The best solution in such a situation would be to see a veterinarian as soon as possible. The specialist will not only quickly and accurately determine the cause of the problem, but also advise what to do to eliminate the unpleasant odor.
Change of teeth
The bad mouth odor that accompanies a change of teeth in a puppy usually does not require any treatment and will go away over time. However, this does not mean that the pet does not need a veterinarian examination. The owners of a young dog need to make sure that the stench is caused precisely by the natural processes of the animal’s development, and not by pathological abnormalities in the work of the body. In addition, it is necessary to monitor the progress of the change of teeth. To somewhat refresh the puppy‘s foul-smelling breath, experts usually advise from time to time to wipe the mucous membrane of the animal’s mouth with a soda solution, which can be made from 1 glass of warm boiled water and 1 tbsp. a spoonful of soda.
Causes and Treatment of Bad Breath in Dogs
Halitosis in pets is a common occurrence, but not every owner knows why a dog’s breath smells. Meanwhile, a bad smell coming from the dog’s mouth may indicate a serious violation of the animal’s health. Therefore, you should definitely find out what caused the pet’s breath to become stale.
It is quite easy to eliminate bad breath if the problem is insufficient oral hygiene: you just need to brush the animal’s teeth with a special paste. Using dental treats is also a good way to remove plaque. It is important to understand that it will be possible to remove a bad smell with the help of hygienic procedures only if it is caused precisely by the accumulation of plaque on the teeth and gums. With the formation of calculus, periodontitis and other dental diseases, the dog should be assisted exclusively by a specialist.
How to get rid of a bad smell
Veterinarians strongly recommend not to self-medicate if your dog stinks from the mouth. However, at home, the pet owner can still try to get rid of the bad smell coming from the dog’s mouth.
If, after the performed hygiene procedures, the dog’s mouth still smells of something unpleasant, this means that the pet needs to undergo a serious examination in a clinic. This may include ultrasound, blood tests, urine tests, and other procedures necessary to establish the exact cause. Based on the results of the studies, the veterinarian will diagnose and prescribe the appropriate drug treatment for the dog.
Bad breath from a pet is by no means the norm. If the pet’s breath has become stale, the owner should definitely contact a specialist and find out why this is happening. It is important to remember: the sooner the cause of the bad smell from the dog’s mouth is discovered, the higher the chances of maintaining the health of the four-legged friend.
Smell from the mouth of an adult dog
The causes of mouth odor in an adult dog are:
- Diseases of the nasopharynx (laryngitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis). Diseases in this category are not common in dogs. But with severe hypothermia of the animal’s body, it is sore throat and sinusitis that cause bad breath.
- Dental diseases. Unpleasant odor occurs with gingivitis, stomatitis, glossitis, tartar formation and caries.
- Diabetes. The animal’s mouth smells distinctly of acetone.
- An imbalance in carbohydrates. Occurs due to improper feeding. The daily norm of carbohydrates is 15-16 g per 1 kg of animal weight.
- Gastrointestinal problems. If the unpleasant odor is associated with a dog’s stomach disease, then in addition to the smell, symptoms such as bloating, flatulence, diarrhea, and discoloration of feces are observed. The dog refuses food, reacts negatively to attempts to feel the stomach (whines, tries to bite).
- Malignant tumors in the oral cavity. A rotten or sweetish bad breath is a sign of tongue or gum cancer.
- Diseases of the liver and biliary tract. With hepatitis, cirrhosis, necrosis or dyskinesia of the gallbladder, the animal’s mouth smells like rotten stuff. At the same time, other signs of the disease may not be observed.
- Dysfunction of the genitourinary system. The animal’s mouth smells like urine. With glomerulonephritis (kidney damage), in addition to an unpleasant odor, shortness of breath and wheezing appear.
The harmless causes of bad breath include violation of the rules of hygiene of the animal’s oral cavity.
What to do?
Teach puppies to brush their teeth start at 4-7 months. Milk teeth usually do not need cleaning, but there are exceptions. The teeth are cleaned daily. In extreme cases, the procedure is carried out at least 2 times a week.
- the animal is allowed to smell, and sometimes taste the pasta;
- gently lift the dog’s lip with a hand and run it over the gums and teeth with a finger, massaging them;
- replace the finger with a brush and gently brush it along the outer surface of the teeth;
- press on the dog’s mouth so that it opens it wider, and brush along the inner surface of the teeth.
Daily cleaning helps to keep the microflora of the oral cavity normal. To eliminate inflammation of the gums, use a 1% solution of hydrogen peroxide. The substance is applied to a cotton swab and the damaged areas are treated. If an unpleasant odor develops despite regular cleaning, the pet is shown to the veterinarian.
Reasons why a dog’s mouth smells like rotten
Dogs are not very clean animals, they do not wash or lick themselves the way cats do. Yard dogs often give off an unpleasant “psychotic” aroma.
This is normal, but it is a completely different matter when not only the animal’s fur smells unpleasant, but also its breath. There are several reasons why a dog’s mouth smells like rotten stuff. Most likely, the animal will need to be urgently shown to the veterinarian.
If the dog smells from the mouth, most likely we are talking about halitosis. It is the main symptom of gastrointestinal problems in animals and humans. Most of these diseases are characterized by a rapid increase in the number of anaerobic bacteria in the oral cavity, which leads to the appearance of an unpleasant odor. In dentistry, this term is also used to refer to bad breath.
Halitosis is precisely a medical term, not a disease. The factors provoking it include:
- lack of oral hygiene (the dog does not brush his teeth or do it wrong);
- problems with the gums (food gets stuck in the teeth of the animal and because of this the gums become inflamed);
- kidney disease;
- oncological diseases.
When halitosis develops, the animal is taken to the veterinarian.
For natural reasons, dog’s mouth odor is caused by:
- lack of oral hygiene;
- improper oral hygiene;
- eating poor-quality food (rotten meat, sour soup, etc.).
To find out the real cause of the smell, first you need to inspect the bowl of food. If the food preserved there is fresh and smells quite pleasant, then the animal’s oral cavity is examined. Clean teeth and the absence of food debris between them indicate that the cause of the smell should be looked for together with the veterinarian.
As a safety net, you can try to brush the animal’s teeth. If after cleaning the smell disappears for 1-2 days, then most likely the dog is healthy. Otherwise, a visit to the doctor cannot be avoided.
Why puppy smells bad?
The main reason for the smell of rotten from the mouth of a puppy lies in the structure of the teeth. In an adult, the incisors are tightly pressed against one another. There are gaps and large gaps between the puppy‘s teeth in which food gets stuck and rotted.
The decay process is accompanied by an unpleasant odor, to eliminate which the dog’s owner will have to use a toothbrush and paste more often, independently cleaning the animal’s oral cavity after each meal.
The bad smell is also caused by damage to the dog’s gums. Wounds and cuts in the mouth cannot be avoided if the puppy is allowed to play with twigs and branches, hard toys. Gnawing them, it can seriously injure teeth and gums. After each such game, the puppy’s mouth is inspected and disinfected with a mouthwash. If this is not done, the wounds will fester and an unpleasant odor will appear.
Another reason for the rotten odor, especially in young dogs, is the deformation of the teeth, which occurs during their gradual replacement (change of milk teeth). The molars can grow even before the milk teeth fall out. At the same time, milk teeth begin to crumble and rot. The dog grinds them with food, the remnants of teeth hurt the gums.
The healthy microflora of the dog’s mouth is disturbed, conditions for the development of pathogenic bacteria appear, and an odor arises.
Bad breath in a dog can be avoided if:
- monitor the quality of the food consumed by the dog;
- brush the animal’s teeth;
- rinse your pet’s mouth with chamomile broth or mouthwash;
- do not allow your pet to play with branches and excessively hard objects that can injure the gums;
- visit the veterinarian periodically and follow all his recommendations.
If your dog resists brushing his teeth frequently, toys are available to help remove plaque and massage the gums. For the prevention of caries and the formation of tartar, natural tomato juice is used. They need to water the pet 2-3 times a week. The juice can be replaced with chopped tomatoes and added to porridge or any other food.
The appearance of a smell is a signal that unpleasant changes are taking place in the animal’s body, which should be fought with all available means.