How to Fix Cloudy Water in an Aquarium (Easiest Method)
Cloudy aquarium water is a challenge faced by many aquarists, regardless of experience. This problem often leads to the death of fish. To prevent death, it is important to understand the causes of cloudy water in the aquarium.
Water color. finding the problem in the aquarium
It is not uncommon for cloudy water in an aquarium to take on a color. The shade of the liquid can be different, each color indicates a specific problem inside the reservoir. Shade options:
- unusual color.
The green color of the reservoir indicates the reproduction of algae, microscopic in nature. Turbid green water in an aquarium can occur for several reasons, namely:
- an excess of direct sunlight of natural or artificial origin;
- poor filtration;
- poor quality water.
If, after changing the place of the reservoir to a darker room, the green tint has not changed, you should look for the cause in the filter system. It is recommended to install a quality filter to reduce the amount of phosphates and nitrates. Water should be sent for analysis, if the above elements exceed the norms, such a liquid must be replaced with the safest one. If the analysis does not show supersaturation with these substances, it is recommended to reduce the fish feeding with dry mixtures. For effective control of microscopic algae, daphnia feeding on them can be placed in the vessel.
If the water in the aquarium has become cloudy and has acquired a brown tint, you should look for the cause in wooden decorations. Elements from wood emit humus and tannin into the surrounding aquatic environment, as a result of which the liquid is colored. There is no critical danger for the inhabitants of the reservoir, however, the acidity level may slightly change. It is recommended to soak all new wooden elements to prevent staining. Water can turn tea-colored due to the presence of peat extract during filtration.
The appearance of unicellular algae and their excessive reproduction leads to the acquisition of white water. There are several reasons why algae appeared and the water turned white:
- a recently launched vessel of new water;
- there was a water change over the norm;
- overpopulation of the vessel with living organisms.
It happens that the water becomes whitish and cloudy after the treatment of fish. Drugs for treatment have side effects, among which is a violation of the internal biological balance. The appearance of white turbidity is the struggle of the internal biological environment with the accumulated poisons in the aquarium.
If the aquarium water becomes cloudy and gray, the problem is usually a contamination of the substrate or the presence of silicates, heavy metals and phosphates in the environment. To determine the presence of harmful substances in the aquatic environment, a special indicator or litmus paper is used, which are used to confirm the level of alkali.
If after cleaning the aquarium the water becomes cloudy again, the reasons may be as follows:
- low-quality decorative elements;
- poor and irregular care.
All of the above factors, as a result of which the water in the aquarium is cloudy even after replacement, are mechanical reasons and can be easily eliminated.
The materials used in the decor should not be dissolving and with coloring elements. Such elements spoil not only the appearance of the reservoir, they are a mortal danger to living organisms. Often, such water acquires a chemical smell, so if it smells inside the container, you should replace the decorative items of the aquarium. All materials must be safe.
The water will become cloudy after the first start-up of the aquarium, if unprepared soil is placed on the bottom of the container so that the water does not become dirty, it is important to rinse the substrate well to remove small particles and dust. It is necessary to rinse until the water during rinsing becomes clear and clean.
Water quickly becomes cloudy when the feed decays. Overfeeding fish leads to an increase in the amount of uneaten food residues, the particles sink to the bottom, where they begin to rot. Living in such an environment is dangerous for their life and health. It is recommended to feed the fish so that all food is eaten in 15 minutes.
To restore the biobalance and combat turbidity of a biological nature, the following measures are used:
- siphoning the substrate;
- frequent water changes;
- increased aeration;
- adding quality water.
These measures will reduce the amount of organic material and free-swimming heterotrophs in the aquarium water. However, just filtering the aquarium water and adding a new portion of the water when changing is not enough. For preventive purposes, chemicals are used.
Another reason why the water has become sharply cloudy can be algae. Certain types of algae have been identified, which, when they multiply excessively, lead to clouding of the aquarium environment, the appearance of an unpleasant odor, even after restarting. Excessive lighting and the amount of organic elements provoke the active growth of algae, the water becomes opaque with a shade of green, in this case, we can say that the water has become cloudy and bloomed due to microscopic algae.
Often the water becomes cloudy in a new aquarium, since after starting up, a lot of bacteria multiply in the reservoir. This process is natural and inevitable. It is recommended that after starting a new aquarium, start fish no earlier than on the second day. If it is noticed that the water becomes cloudy, you should wait until the reservoir clears itself, and then start the fish. In the absence of nutrition, bacteria will die, the water balance will be restored.
In this situation, it is forbidden to carry out a water change, since the new fluid will also become cloudy. To speed up the process of normalization of the environment, it is recommended to add water from the old aquarium to the new reservoir, provided that there is one.
Incorrect fish settlement as a cause of rapid water turbidity
Why did the water become cloudy 2-3 days after the fish settled? The fact is that for every one liter of water volume in the tank, it is required to settle only one medium-sized fish. If you run more pets, there will be problems with the pollution of the “house”. Some fish plow the ground, and if there are many such individuals, it will turn into an underwater hurricane. Place the fish in different aquariums immediately, make sure there is enough space for them. It is also important that they have enough oxygen, shelter and plants. Fish can get sick in oxygen-poor water.
In an aquarium with proper care and equipment, the water will not deteriorate on the second day. After starting the fish, make sure it adapts to the new environment. For 3 liters of water, you need to settle a fish 3-5 cm in size.
Fish Tank Water Going Down? | This May Be Why Your Aquarium Is Losing Water
If the water becomes cloudy, you can use drugs that cleanse the water from turbidity and dirt. After using them, no water changes in the aquarium are required for a few more days. They combine all the small particles that spoil the water until they fall into the filter. The next day, all bacterial turbidity, small algae will settle on the filter sponge, after which they can be removed.
These are drugs: JBL Clearol, JBL Clynol, Seachem Clarity, Sera Aquaria Clear.
Watch the video on water change.
Why does the water quickly become cloudy in fish?
Cloudy water in a fish tank is perhaps the most common problem that worries both beginners and experienced aquarists. Through trial and error, you have to find out why the turbid water appeared so quickly. The causes of this phenomenon can be different, ranging from a bacterial outbreak, improper feeding and irregular water renewal. A number of other factors can become the source of this problem. When the elimination or elimination of the causative agent of cloudy water in the aquarium occurs quickly, then the biological balance in the water is completely restored.
Sometimes such a nuisance provokes the death of fish, plants and invisible microorganisms. The first thing to do is to find out why the water quickly becomes cloudy. The second is to gradually eliminate the shortcomings.
Causes of cloudy aquarium water
Why did the aquarium water quickly become cloudy if the tank is equipped with a filter? The main problem is that on the very first day of launching the aquarium, there is no integral and constant biological environment in it. The so-called “bacterial explosion” is caused by the active growth of the number of unicellular microorganisms, which are constantly multiplying. In this case, the fish should not be populated, it is better to do it on another day. When the microflora is balanced in the tank, then the water will become crystal clear. You don’t need to do anything serious. this sediment will pass by itself. If you decide to change the water, it will again become cloudy and unsuitable for life.
For 4-7 days, the aquatic environment will fully recover, plants and fish can be launched into it. To speed up the process, you can add water after the old aquarium with “living” water.
Another common problem with rapid cloudiness in an aquarium is poor water filtration. The cleaning system should be well thought out, and this should be done quickly, while the fish are young and have not had time to get used to the new home. A bad filter does not allow grains of dirt, feces, food debris to pass through, provoking the formation of decay products. Such rotten water constantly stinks and can cause disease.
Watch the video on filtering water in an aquarium.
Why else does the water quickly become cloudy? If it becomes an unpleasant green color, becomes cloudy in a short time, it means that microscopic blue-green algae develop in it, which lead to the bloom of the reservoir. With good organic development and strong lighting, they make themselves felt on the fifth day. When there is not enough light, cyanobacteria will turn brown and start to rot. Green color of liquid with turbidity, unpleasant odor. signs of growth of blue-green algae.
Clouding aquarium water: action
If frequent water changes, the growth of bacteria and algae provoke the appearance of cloudy water in the aquarium, you need to take some steps to eliminate the problem.
- If your aquarium is overcrowded, place your fish in separate tanks where they are comfortable and spacious.
- In case of excess light, shade the aquarium by setting it up in a secluded area away from strong light.
- If the water becomes cloudy the day after the first feed, siphon the bottom and feed the fish in small portions.
- Place snails and fish in the aquarium, which eat food debris from the bottom, clean the glass and water in the tank. After a few days, the water will be free of dirt, and does not require an additional change.
How to properly change aquarium water?
A complete water change is required only in the most rare cases, for example, in case of general quarantine or water poisoning. Why can’t this procedure be done often? Because the next day after a complete change, you will notice how the water has become cloudy again. A significant loss of its volume is stress for all inhabitants of the reservoir. Even during the death of some fish, the water is not replaced. But there are a number of recommendations, after studying which you can understand why substitutions are necessary.
- Substitutions are necessary after the introduction of pathogenic microorganisms;
- Replacements are required after a visible flowering of the reservoir;
- Urgent water changes are required if fungal mucus is found;
- Water renewal is required due to severe soil pollution.
You can add water to the tank as it evaporates, but not more than 20-30% of the total volume. It is best to renew 1/5 of the aquarium once a week. After the procedure, the biocenosis will recover in 2 days. By changing the water, they clean the glass from plaque, remove debris from the bottom, clean driftwood and decorations.
It is best to plan ahead for water changes for both small and large tanks. Fill a glass tank with tap water and leave it for a few days, covered with gauze. The chlorine and gas will evaporate, making the liquid safe for the fish. And it should be remembered that in the first week of operation of the aquarium, the water is not changed until an ecosystem is formed in it.
Why does the water quickly become cloudy in an aquarium??
An aquarium in the house is not only an opportunity to be closer to nature, but also a way to escape from pressing problems. In turn, such an artificial reservoir and its inhabitants require a lot of attention. One of the top issues among aquarists is the frequent clouding of the water in the tank. There are several reasons why water quickly becomes cloudy in an aquarium:
- frequency of water change;
- natural biological processes in water;
- overcrowded reservoir;
- putrefactive bacteria.
To find the answer to the question of why the water in the aquarium becomes cloudy and green, it is recommended to carefully analyze the composition of food for fish. Discard dry food completely. The inhabitants of the aquatic world eat dry particles rather poorly, which provokes the appearance of putrefactive bacteria. The remains of the feast can clog the water, remain at the bottom for a long time, and cause cloudy water.
It is quite easy to solve the problem that has arisen, it is important to follow a few basic rules:
- If you give dry food, then only in minimal portions.
- Snails help to deal with food debris. Therefore, if there is a problem, it is worth thinking about purchasing these representatives of the water world.
- Introduce live food into the diet. So, for example, bloodworms can be given in the amount of 3-4 worms per fish.
- Give preference to the coretra. a transparent larva that can live in the aquarium for quite a long time without clogging it.
An alternative would be daphnia or cyclops living in puddles. Stocking density of fish
Overcrowding in a tank is also one of the most common reasons why a fish tank becomes cloudy. Since the waste products of a large number of individuals become an ideal environment for the origin and reproduction of putrefactive bacteria. Tips for maintaining optimal conditions:
- In a tank with a volume of 3 liters, the number of individuals should not exceed 3 pieces. The average size of fish for such an aquarium is no more than 5 cm.
- Provide enough plants in the aquarium.
- Sometimes the clouding goes away on its own. In this case, it is caused by fish digging in the sand.
If waste products or waste products cause turbidity, self-purification of the water can be observed. The process is pretty straightforward. When there is an excessive amount of food debris or other particles in the water, other microorganisms take over. As a result of their activity, ammonia decomposes into less toxic nitrates, nitrites. Subsequently, these toxins turn into a gas state and evaporate from the liquid. Thus, the natural water purification takes place. If you break the chain, you get the exact opposite result.
In a home artificial reservoir, as in a natural one, the processes of the birth of some microorganisms, the death of others, are continuously going on. Food leftovers, waste products are the main answer to the question of transparency and purity of water.
If you had to look for a solution to the problem of why the water in the aquarium becomes cloudy and what to do, you should heed the recommendations of experienced aquarists.
- Do not change the water completely. With a complete replacement of the liquid, the water will become cloudy even faster due to the disruption of the vital activity of bacteria and other inhabitants, the reproduction of unicellular.
- Minimize the amount of food you eat. Sometimes it will not be superfluous to stop feeding altogether for 2-3 days. There will be no harm to fish.
- Remove dry food residues and rotting algae in time.
- Thoroughly and gently wash all decorative items, pebbles, algae.
- Monitor the quality of water treatment. The filter should be cleaned regularly. It is also recommended to purchase an additional cleaning device.
What makes the water in the aquarium cloudy
There are three main reasons why the aquarium becomes cloudy:
- mechanical turbidity;
- greening of water;
- bacterial outbreak.
Mechanical turbidity in the water can appear when starting the aquarium, as a result of a sharp pouring of water onto poorly washed soil. The second option is the sharp movements of the net (when catching fish), which can raise the dregs from the bottom or walls of the aquarium. Such turbidity is not dangerous and does not require special intervention. After a while, it will settle by itself, and the water will regain its former transparency.
Close Show Top Sellers
They are innumerable, and their main task is reproduction. If you create the right conditions for them, they will multiply in huge numbers. In a short time, the water in the aquarium will become cloudy and have an unpleasant odor. But this is not the worst thing. The main danger comes from the fact that they consume oxygen, and the fish can only suffocate. And they also release their metabolic products into the water, which are poison for other inhabitants of the reservoir. As you may have guessed, this is a bacterial outbreak in an aquarium.
Close Show Top Articles
Do you want to plunge into the world of aquariums and start a new hobby? We will tell you what to look for when buying your first aquarium and what a beginner should know before making a responsible purchase. Interesting and informative.
What kind of water should you use to start up your aquarium or do a partial change? What should be the water for an aquarium and how to prepare it? We will tell in the article simply and clearly.
“Black beard in the aquarium” is a popular name given to them by the impression they make on the observer. How to get rid of black algae in an aquarium and the reasons for their appearance will be discussed in this article.
How does the acidity (pH) value affect the life of aquarium inhabitants and plants? How can the alkalinity in water be controlled? This article answers these and other questions about pH in your home aquarium.
Close Show Categories
Why does the water become cloudy in the aquarium?
Why is the water in the aquarium cloudy and green
Usually, in the hot season in the aquarium, a sharp greening of the water can occur with a complete loss of transparency. The question of why the water in the aquarium has become cloudy, in this case, has a simple and unambiguous answer: this is an abrupt reproduction of the unicellular algae euglena green. This phenomenon poses no danger to plants or fish, but it is very unpleasant in terms of aesthetic perception.
The reasons for the outbreak are as follows:
- a lot of light;
- increased water temperature;
- little oxygen.
By eliminating any of the above reasons (or better all three), you will bring the aquarium back to normal.
We deliberately left this point at the end of our story, in the hope that you are already a little prepared to understand the main principles of the struggle for biological balance.
Bacteria are found everywhere, including in the aquarium. There are times when they have a large amount of feed in the form of any organic residues. This can be an excess of fish food, the remains of dead fish, parts of plants, or the accumulation of fish waste products in the ground.
For rapid reproduction, in addition to food, they need a favorable water temperature and a large amount of oxygen. The presence of these three factors is why the water quickly becomes cloudy in the aquarium and an outbreak of bacterial growth is guaranteed.
There is only one way to prevent such phenomena. You cannot significantly lower the temperature in the aquarium or deprive it of oxygen. So, take care of the timely removal of all organic contaminants. This will guarantee clean and clear water in your pond.
How to deal with cloudy water
We have already figured out why the water in the aquarium becomes cloudy, and how to prevent this phenomenon. But what to do if something like that happened. First of all, you need to protect the inhabitants of the aquarium from harmful effects. It is necessary to give them oxygen and remove the metabolic products of bacteria. From here follows enhanced blowing, filtration and replacement of part of the water.
Don’t try to change as much water as possible. Quite enough 20% of the total.
The fish are safe, now we need to get rid of this army of bacteria as soon as possible. How? Very simple. We will deprive them of food. If, under conditions of increased blowing, we raise the temperature of the water in the aquarium by a few degrees (within normal limits), we get ideal conditions for the reproduction of bacteria, and they will instantly take advantage of this. The result will be the eating of the remnants of their food and the death of the entire colony from hunger. the main reason for the clouding of the water in the aquarium.
Microorganisms that have developed in large numbers give the water an unnatural shade and turbidity. This, in turn, is caused by certain mistakes in the process of maintaining the aquarium. As long as the microflora of the water is in the right balance, the reproduction of negative bacteria and other organisms is naturally inhibited. In this case, the water is not subject to such rapid contamination and clogging.
But a violation of this balance is fraught with the blooming of the aquarium.
It is worth paying attention to the following reasons leading to flowering and clouding of the aquarium water:
- too bright lighting, direct sunlight entering the aquarium. in this case, microscopic algae develop very actively, giving the water a greenish or brown tint;
- an increase in water temperature above the recommended standards. the development of many bacteria is inhibited, including by a certain temperature regime; when the environment surrounding them becomes warmer and more favorable, microorganisms begin to multiply very actively;
- the main food for microorganisms and bacteria is organic matter in the water; if in the aquarium there is often food that has not been eaten by fish or the remains of dead inhabitants, then the quality of the water in it will definitely deteriorate;
- excessive growth of algae and general contamination of the aquarium water does not in the best way affect its purity and transparency;
- rarely carried out filtration or its absence leads to blooming and turbidity;
- very often the water in the aquarium blooms due to insufficient oxygen content; in other words, aeration with a special compressor must be systematically carried out in the tank with fish and algae;
- ingress of foreign contaminated objects, plant particles into the aquarium, infection through uncleaned and unprepared accessories for decoration (driftwood, stones, and so on);
- contaminated or unsuitable soil can cause bacteria and unwanted microalgae to enter the aquarium;
- excessive and improper use of chemicals violates the quantitative balance of aquatic microorganisms;
- oddly enough, a very frequent change of water in the aquarium also leads to its blooming; the constant change of the environment does not allow the aquasystem to fully form, which is why pathogenic microorganisms often begin to predominate in the water.
Important! At the same time, restarting the aquarium too rarely negatively affects its ecosystem.
How to fight?
So, you have noticed clear signs of water blooming in your aquarium. How do you fix this? In most cases, it will be necessary to take a set of measures, because imbalance in the aqua system is a complex phenomenon.
- Change the location of your aquarium if it is exposed to direct sunlight. The duration of artificial lighting should not exceed 8-9 hours per day at a lamp power of 0.5 W / l.
- A biological method of water purification is very effective, not labor-intensive and relatively safe. It consists in the attachment of certain organisms, which, in the course of their natural life, actively destroy unwanted inhabitants of the aquarium. For example, guppies, goldfish, telescopes, crucian carp, swordtails and veil-tails quite actively feed on algae.
The introduction of these fish species will help to naturally combat the overgrowth of aquatic plants. Snails are also considered the “orderlies” of the aquarium. They mainly cleanse its walls from plaque and microalgae spores.
- The addition of a small amount of salt to the water significantly inhibits the growth and development of algae and microorganisms. If you or someone you know has experience in maintaining a saltwater aquarium, then you may have noticed that in salt water the walls and bottom of the aquarium are never overgrown with plaque and algae. For a freshwater aquarium, the dosage of sea or ordinary table salt in order to get rid of water bloom is 1 g per liter of content.
- If the degree of spoilage of the water is quite critical, then the microorganisms are already well established in your aquarium. In this case, even a complete restart often gives only a very short-term result. After a fairly short time after a complete water change, you will again be forced to observe signs of pollution and flowering.
In advanced cases, the only way to “cure” the aquarium is the use of antibacterial drugs. Riboflavin and Rivanol are good help. Their dosage is 0.1 g per 100 liters. These substances do an excellent job with pathogenic microflora, but they can damage some aquarium plants. Kabomba and hornwort react especially sharply to them.
gentle drugs are “Penicillin” and “Streptomycin”. They do not have a negative effect on the main inhabitants of the aquarium: fish, algae, snails. For aquarium refurbishment, add 0.3 mg for aquariums up to 50 liters. After 48 hours, a complete water change can be carried out.
In the fight against the bloom of aquarium water, ordinary pharmacy hydrogen peroxide has proven itself very well. A 3% solution in the amount of 3–6 g / l is added to the aquarium. Intensive aeration is required in parallel.
The main symptoms
It is not difficult to guess that your aquarium has bloomed. The change in transparency and color of its content immediately catches the eye. The water becomes cloudy and takes on an unnatural hue, in most cases brown or greenish. You may also notice plaque on the walls of the aquarium.
Gradually, formations, similar to a thin film, appear on the soil, stones and decorative accessories in the aquarium.
Unfortunately, if you let this process take its course and do not take any measures, the situation will only worsen. In addition to the unsightly appearance of your aquarium, you will have to face massive morbidity and possibly the death of fish and aquarium plants. Therefore, at the first signs that the water in the aquarium has bloomed, it is necessary to try to find out the cause of this phenomenon and immediately take measures to eliminate it.
Why does water bloom in an aquarium and how to deal with it?
Changes in the clarity of the water in the aquarium indicate certain problems that should be eliminated as soon as possible. An imbalance in microorganisms can negatively affect the condition of aquarium fish, plants and other inhabitants, and in some cases even lead to their death. The problem of the so-called water bloom is often faced not only by novice aquarists, but even those who have quite good experience in this area. It is worth considering what are the reasons for the cloudiness and discoloration of the aquarium water and how to eliminate this phenomenon.
The following preventive measures should be taken into account:
- it is very important to do regular mechanical cleaning of the walls, but try not to leave scratches on the glass; it is best to use a hard sponge for cleaning;
- to maintain the water level and renew it, it is imperative to carry out a partial replacement of the contents of the aquarium; it consists in adding fresh water and withdrawing a small amount of already used one, the amount of new liquid should not exceed one quarter of the total;
- do not overfeed the fish, since the remnants of food will provoke rotting processes, watch how much your fish eat and try to adhere to the right amount and feeding regime; in any case, it is not so scary not to feed, than to create conditions for rapid water pollution;
- The balance of aquaflora is easier to maintain in a large aquarium, because a more permanent and stable ecosystem of microorganisms is formed there; aquariums that hold less than 10 liters of water are generally not highly recommended for long-term maintenance of fish or algae;
- avoid overcrowding the aquarium with any species of inhabitants, excessive vegetation, crowded fish and a large number of snails are negatively affected; try to maintain an optimal balance when planning the settlement of the aquatic environment;
- do not allow foreign objects and debris to systematically enter the aquarium; decorative elements from natural reservoirs should be placed in water only after special cleaning and processing, otherwise there is a significant risk of introducing infection into the aquarium environment.
Why the water in the aquarium blooms, see below.
Consequences of a water change
The presence of turbidity after a water change in the aquarium indicates that the procedure was not performed correctly. It is necessary to use hoses so that the fluid flow does not lift the suspension upward. There is a strict rule: you cannot change water by more than 1/3 of the volume. You cannot do this more often than once every 7 days. If you do not follow these recommendations, the water will become cloudy due to biological imbalance.
Improper filter operation
Often the water in the aquarium becomes cloudy due to a broken or incorrectly working filtration system. A dirty filter element does not clean, but raises the dregs. If you tackle the filter and clean it well, transparency will be restored in a couple of days. You also need to correctly select the power of the device for the volume of the tank. If the problem persists after cleaning the filter, other causes of turbidity should be considered.
Too many inhabitants
A cloudy aquarium with a characteristic ooze odor is a common sight in bodies of water that are inhabited by an exorbitant number of fish and shellfish. The filter device cannot handle the load. This is very dangerous for fish, as they can be poisoned, which will be fatal.
There will be no muddy water, if you correctly calculate the number of inhabitants. for each living organism with a body length of 1 cm, at least 2 liters of water must fall. Considering that the fish are growing, you need to leave a reserve.
In the aquarium, a lot of waste products of its inhabitants are continuously generated. From this, the water will gradually deteriorate. If you abandon the fish habitat, do not care for it or do it illiterately, the mud in the aquarium is inevitable. Waste residues will decompose, smell bad, harmful microorganisms will spread through the reservoir.
The water can become cloudy temporarily, with further restoration of the water balance without human intervention. It is normal for a new tank to become cloudy on the second day after starting up. You should wait for a while until the bacterial microflora is restored. For this reason, experienced aquarists never start fish right away, but wait 2-3 days. As soon as beneficial bacteria appear in the amount necessary for the water balance, transparency will be restored.
It is useless to change the water as it will become cloudy again. To speed up the process of stabilizing the aquatic environment, when starting the aquarium, add some of the water from the old home reservoir to it.
Some types of algae are capable of multiplying at a tremendous rate. If the water becomes cloudy, a strong nitrogenous odor appears, most likely a matter of plants. The rapid growth of microscopic algae usually occurs in containers that are exposed to direct sunlight, and where there is a large amount of organic matter. At the same time, a green tide appears at the water.
If the cause of the turbidity is improperly organized feeding, urgent action is needed. The fish are fed in such a way that the food is eaten in 5 minutes. Due to excess feed, the water quickly becomes dirty. It is absolutely impossible to overfeed the fish. Remains of not eaten pellets fall to the bottom of the tank, decompose and stink.
Why does the water in an aquarium become cloudy and what to do with cloudy water
Every aspiring hobbyist is faced with the phenomenon of cloudy aquarium water over time. Sometimes it is enough to look in a book on aquarium keeping to understand why this is so. But in some cases, even scientific literature may not immediately give an answer.
Methods for dealing with biological turbidity in the aquarium
To prevent the appearance of turbidity in the aquarium, it is recommended to periodically clean the walls of the tank and clean the soil. It is recommended to feed the fish in accordance with the dosage indicated on the package.
Replace and add water in the aquarium according to the rules so as not to kill the beneficial microflora. For this, two months are counted from the date of the first launch of the reservoir. During this period of time, the water is not changed. After that, the water is changed no more than 2 times a week up to 30% of the total volume of liquid.
A complete replacement of the fluid occurs only in the case of an illness of the fish. In this case, they are deposited in a quarantine tank, and the container is treated with special means and a complete water replacement is performed. They do this in several stages for seven days.
Placing beneficial aquarium plants in the pond helps to get rid of nitrates or reduce their concentration. The plant system, just like on earth, helps oxygenate the water and absorb carbon dioxide. In addition, some species of fish feed on them. Coil snails, or yellow-shelled ampullae, are orderlies and help cleanse the liquid of organic debris.
But in this case it is necessary to check that they are alive. Dead snails will decompose, invariably leading to cloudy water. To avoid this, you should immediately remove dead snails. Many types of catfish are ready to cope with the sanitary task as well as snails.
If you do not want to keep catfish or snails, then you can purchase a multi-stage filter for the aquarium to clean the reservoir of unwanted debris.
The soil will help determine the problems with the ecosystem in the reservoir. It usually contains beneficial microflora to help protect the system from harmful factors. If the inhabitants of the aquarium began to behave strangely and more and more often cuddle up to the walls, then the time has come to do a general cleaning of the soil. This is usually done using a siphon.
The use of backlighting should be done efficiently If you abuse this element, you can harm the natural state of water. It is recommended to illuminate the aquarium for no more than seven hours a day. This time will be enough for the normal growth and functioning of plants.
Populating an aquarium with incompatible fish species leads to their frequent death and decay. As a result, the water is saturated with decay products and begins to rot.
Starting a new aquarium: tips
In order not to experience problems with the mortality of the inhabitants of the water element, not to treat them and not often change the water, it is necessary to properly launch a new ecosystem. It will take thirty days to completely populate and fill the aquarium. In this case, it is important to observe the following sequence:
- The first day is spent on setting up the aquarium, filling it with soil and water. The soil should be thoroughly rinsed and treated before immersion in the container.
- On the fourth day, a water filter is installed and connected. A compressor can be added to oxygenate the water.
- Algae can be added after six days.
- On the ninth day, you can put snails in the container.
- The first fish are launched into the reservoir only on the fourteenth day.
If you want to add more fish to the aquarium, then they are launched no earlier than thirty days from the day the container was installed. As the first fish, you should choose species that are unpretentious in care. For a container in the shape of a ball, you should also select special types of fish that will get along in it. This is due to the peculiarity of light refraction in the spherical shape of the container.
What color is turbid water
Many lovers of ornamental fish are faced with the problem of cloudy water in the reservoir. And then a completely fair question arises: “The water in the aquarium becomes cloudy: what to do?” To answer this question, you need to establish the reason why the liquid changes color. It is the color of the water that most often indicates the cause of the turbidity:
- Green color indicates reproduction of the simplest algae.
- Brown color indicates poorly processed decorative elements in the aquarium or the presence of earth or tannins in the pond.
- Milky color appears at the beginning of the reproduction of the simplest microorganisms.
Why does the water in the aquarium become cloudy??
There are many factors that can cause cloudiness in an aquarium, and it can take a lot of effort to solve this problem. Water can become cloudy for a variety of reasons:
- the presence of cyanobacteria, solid organic matter, or algae particles in the aquarium;
- poor-quality soil washing without boiling;
- incorrect filling of the container with clean liquid.
These reasons will not cause the death of fish and you do not need to worry about the turbidity of the water. After a few hours, the haze will settle or pass through the filter and become transparent.
The video will help you find out the cause of the cloudy water.
Other causes of cloudy water include:
- Active movement in the reservoir of gold, veil-tailed fish or cichlids. It is difficult to purify the water in such an aquarium without a filter.
- First start-up of the aquarium. Do not worry about this, usually in a day all floating particles settle to the bottom. This is due to a common mistake made by novice aquarists when they decide to replace half of the liquid in the tank or change it completely. The sponge filter can clean the liquid in a small body of water.
- The predominance of various bacteria in the water. For this reason, the aquarium resembles a swamp. Most often this happens due to overpopulation of a small reservoir with plants and fish. The appearance of unicellular microorganisms can lead to rotting of algae. As a result, the inhabitants of the aquarium begin to get sick and die.
- Plenty of feed. The fish do not have time to consume all the food and the leftovers settle to the bottom, creating mud. Less feed should be given to restore natural balance.
- Poor quality paraphernalia. Sometimes, decorative elements made of materials that are not suitable for water content add turbidity to the water. For example, it is not recommended to put wood decor in the aquarium. It is recommended to keep it in a saline solution and only then place it in a pond with fish.
- The use of medicines for the treatment of fish or household chemicals for cleaning the aquarium. The use of many chemicals in the chemical industry disrupts the natural habitat and causes the reproduction of pathogenic microflora, which affects the transparency of the liquid.
What means is it necessary to remove the dregs in the aquarium
To eliminate the appearance of turbidity, it is recommended to use an absorbent such as activated carbon. After thoroughly rinsing the filter, charcoal is placed in it for two weeks. After this time, the procedure is repeated. Sometimes coal is replaced with zeolite. It is used more often than coal, due to its ability to absorb all nitrites and nitrates from the aquatic environment. This leads to more thorough water purification.
All dirt can be removed from the filter after 24 hours. All these preparations are produced with a composition that is harmless to living organisms, but it is still better to plant the fish in another container during the cleaning work.
Certain substances can be used to cope with the rapidly multiplying green algae in bloom. There are also means that not only remove all pathogenic microflora from the reservoir, but also have medicinal properties for fish.
Does the aquarium water become cloudy quickly? The video will help you solve this problem.
What to do?
After the reasons for the appearance of turbidity in the aquarium have been established, you should begin to eliminate them. But in order to get rid of the undesirable state of water completely, the balance should be restored according to all the rules:
- Clear the soil. It is recommended to do this using a siphon. This special device is a must have for every aquarist to clean the soil. This procedure allows you to change the filling of the container less often.
- Rinse the filter. The filter should be carefully processed. After rinsing, it is recommended to add activated carbon to it. This is done in order to absorb harmful microflora. But you should not completely change the liquid in order to avoid the death of beneficial microorganisms that will destroy the pathogenic microflora.
- Complete aeration of the reservoir. Oxygen removes all organic food debris.
With experience, aquarists begin to understand why aquarium liquid quickly becomes cloudy and what should be done about this problem. With turbidity caused by the multiplication of bacteria, elodea is sometimes planted in the ground. This plant helps fight bacteria and eliminate unpleasant odors.