How to put your puppy’s ears
The erect ears are the hallmark of a number of purebred dogs. Despite the natural situation, in some cases the owner has to puzzle over how to help his pet.
Let’s look at the main causes of falling ears in puppies and explain how they can be put on a case-by-case basis.
Rigid structures are recommended for both large breeds and owners of long cropped ears. Bonding is carried out only after the surgical sutures are tightened.
The ear frame is installed using an algorithm similar to the soft design, but using slightly different materials and tools:
- Instead of cotton swabs, foam rubber curlers glued with medical glue are used.
- From the outside, the ear is fixed with ice cream sticks.
- At the stage of fixing the final design, the adhesive plaster is changed to strong adhesive tape (you can use both painting and construction tape).
Why do they need to be installed
The set ears as an indicator of the breed is a necessary attribute for a puppy planning a show career. To obtain a place of honor, erect ears are considered a necessity for:
- Australian Bouvier;
- German and Belgian Shepherd Dogs;
- boxers and a number of other dog breeds.
In addition to the aesthetic point of view, it is important to note the medical one. If the ears are upright, then the likelihood of hearing diseases is reduced. Pathogenic microflora develops more often in lop-eared representatives deprived of natural ventilation.
When to sound the alarm
If the ears have not risen by themselves by 7 months, then it will not be easy to achieve the desired position. Placing the ears of an adult dog often involves the intervention of a surgeon. In order to avoid an unpleasant outcome, it is important to know situations that require help from the owner:
Aggressive German Shepherd Ear Cleaning
- Curved mowing line bend. When properly lifted, the ear flexes smoothly to form an arc. If the animal has an angularity of the mowing line, there is a high likelihood of a crease.
- The presence of a fold. When just a little bit is left until the full rise, and a small fold is found on the ear, sound the alarm. A crease or scar often forms at this place.
- Lack of progress. If the soft “rags” on the dog’s head do not even try to take a natural position in due time. contact your veterinarian to find out how to help your pet.
- Long delay in the “house” position. Excessive stress on the base of the ear leads to hard-to-correct crease. The puppy runs the risk of staying with this form for life.
Having risen in due time, the ears can go down again. If this happened during the change of teeth or after the first vaccination. watch the puppy. After a few weeks, the upright position should return. Otherwise, the pet will have to be taken to a veterinary clinic for examination.
For uncropped small breed dogs, a soft design is suitable, fixed with cotton swabs and a 3-cm adhesive tape:
- Use a grass trimmer on each side of the ear to shave off the coat. The absence of hair will reduce the weight of the ear and make subsequent removal of the patch painless. Trim the remaining areas of the coat with scissors.
- Degrease the skin with rubbing alcohol to securely hold the patch.
- Measure a piece of patch equal to the height of the sink and place it on a flat surface, non-sticky side up.
- Cut a cotton swab in half. The resulting retainer must be placed on top of the patch. Add 2 more layers of adhesive plaster on top of the stick.
- Make a blank from the resulting glue that matches the shape of the auricle.
- Glue the blank to the inside of the ear without obstructing the visibility of the ear canal.
- Place the duct tape along the base of each ear, making them a tube. Make sure there is at least 1 cm between the edges.This will allow ventilation and easy inspection.
Please note that after 6 days the structure must be removed. The break is about half a day after which the puppy is given a new gluing. Wear a glue until the desired setting is obtained.
At what age should ears rise
All newborn puppies, both purebred and outbred, are characterized by small ears that are pressed to the skull. With age, when the ears begin to rise under the influence of the hardening and elasticity of the cartilage tissue, the difference between dogs with lop-eared and erect ears becomes apparent.
Generally, the ears should be raised at 2-5 months of age. The moment of raising is individual and consists of many factors, including the breed:
- Yorkies. 2-3 months;
- German Shepherds. 4-5 months;
- larger and giant breeds. 6-8 months.
To exclude possible problems, check with the breeder from which month the ears of the purchased breed should rise. If the changes do not come on time, then you need to consult with your veterinarian to understand how to help your pet.
How to put a puppy’s ears with gluing
Before carrying out the procedure, you need to make sure that it is necessary:
- Check for creases. In the presence of a horizontal area with a thin cartilage tissue, the ears cannot assume a natural position on their own.
- Check the canvases for weak spots and scars. If the hall is not found, then the reason lies in a weakened or scarred area. To determine such a place:
- Squeeze the base of the auricle with 2 fingers and gently feel the entire canvas, moving up.
- When you find a small spot or a thin strip of fabric, press it on 2 sides. If, with pressure, the ear takes an upright position, then the reason is found.
- Determine the location of the weak point. If the upper part of the cartilage is damaged, the problem is solved by taking vitamins, and if both the base and the middle of the ear are damaged, it is impossible to do without gluing.
Soft canvases, excluding creases, scars and weak spots, are restored by changing the diet and subsequent gluing, if necessary.
For safety, the first gluing is best done under the guidance of an experienced breeder. He will tell you how to safely install the structure and explain which option is preferable in the presence or absence of docking.
Why the puppy doesn‘t have ears?
When do the ears rise? A six-month-old adolescent should have the shells of an adult dog. This does not happen for the following reasons:
Why Dogs Have Floppy Ears: An Animated Tale
- Impure blood.
- Congenital predisposition.
- Imbalance in the nutrition of the mother or puppy after weaning.
- Inappropriate conditions of detention.
- Complications after previous illnesses.
- Antimicrobial treatment.
The purchase of a non-purebred puppy is a consequence of the carelessness and stinginess of the owner. If you bought a puppy on the market and without documents, then be content with communicating with a dog that looks like a German shepherd, and do not worry about the beauty of the ears. Mestizos have stronger immunity, individual owners do not even vaccinate them. But such pets are not destined to participate in expert exhibitions and pedigree breeding. However, you didn’t really want this.
Sometimes the problem arises when you purchase a purebred puppy, but the unscrupulous seller is silent about the fact that the parents had ear problems.
Some dog owners consider German Shepherds to be unpretentious animals, they are frivolous about their feeding. They use mainly natural products of low quality and dubious freshness. A puppy or lactating female does not receive the necessary nutrients, therefore milk production drops, the puppy lags behind in growth. It’s out of earshot.
If you purchased a calf from such breeders, you hope that you can correct the situation with a balanced diet. The consequences of a poor diet in the first weeks of existence can last a lifetime. Therefore, choose dog handlers with a good reputation, be interested in what they feed the bitches and droppings, try not to change the diet for the first weeks after the move. Read the article on feeding your German Shepherd puppy.
Some dog breeders recommend using fish, cottage cheese, vitamin and mineral supplements containing calcium and phosphorus. Be careful. For a growing organism, both a deficiency and an excess of minerals and vitamins are dangerous. To avoid problems with the growth and development of the dog, including setting the ears. use specialized ready-made food. It is possible, but not necessary, to use food for German Shepherds. The following options are suitable for puppies and teens:
- Royal Canin starter;
- Imbalance Starter.
If you keep a puppy in a pen, in cold or damp weather, it may have a delay in setting the ears due to a medical condition with latent clinical symptoms.
When you do not pay due attention to timely deworming, parasites use nutrients for their own consumption that should have gone to the development of ear cartilage.
If you doubt the need for vaccinations, know that the complications after the transferred diseases are the lag in growth and development. However, post-vaccination complications are possible. Therefore, do not risk immunizing the pet yourself, contact the hospital.
The trouble is if the puppy gets sick. You followed the advice of “kind people” or even veterinarians with no experience in working with dogs, you used an antibiotic.
The puppy is likely to recover, but antimicrobial agents interfere with the formation of bones, cartilage, ligaments, tendons and the lack of ear setting can be the most harmless of possible complications.
Small puppies sometimes have ears.
- When to vaccinate puppies by age
- Best Worm Remedies for Puppies
When the ears of a German shepherd stand up
The German Shepherd must have erect, pointed ears. The hearing process begins after weaning and continues as we grow older. I will tell you at what age a dog’s ears should be. You will find out why the ears of the puppy do not rise. I will tell you how to fix the defect.
If your pet is six months old, but the ears have not risen, go to the section “Setting the ears”.
What to do if the ears do not rise?
If your German Shepherd is six months old and the shells are hanging, seek the advice of your veterinarian or experienced dog handler. Correction of the diet is necessary, however, physiotherapeutic actions will also be required. Clean your ears regularly, get all the necessary vaccinations, and banish worms quarterly. See the article on how often to worm puppies.
Give your pet toys to chew on. This is how the jaw muscles and the adjacent auricle muscles develop. Run diagnostics. Feel your ear, find a relaxed place in it. It has the shape of a spot and, if located in the upper part, the prognosis is favorable. Massage your pet gently to stimulate local circulation and wait for the ear to heal itself.
If the weak point is located at the bottom of the sink, you will have to construct a structure to support the sink.
We will consider the process of setting the ears in more detail in the next section.
According to the standard
The breed standard says that the ears of the German Shepherd must be erect with the shell facing forward. Serious shortcomings include sinks set too low on the sides, setting with a visor, weak ears. Such animals are not allowed to participate in expert exhibitions, and are also excluded from purebred breeding.
When should you get up??
In newborns and suckling puppies, the hearing organs are hanging. At a month and a half, there are signs of shells rising. The straightening is uneven. First, one rises, then the second, the process can be interrupted, go backwards. When replacing milk teeth with permanent ones, the inserted ear may fall.
It is considered a positive sign if the ears of a 4-month-old shepherd dog become firm, even when the setting process has not yet been completed. By the age of five months, the shape of the adolescent’s shells takes on the appearance of an adult dog. If this does not happen before six months, you need to contact your veterinarian. Cases of self-standing ears at 8 months without any action have been described.
Setting the ears: detailed instructions
How many months should you put your ears in? Start when your pet is six months old. In order for the recalcitrant shells to take the correct position, they are tied for a while. The manipulation is not very difficult, but the first time it is better to do it under the guidance of an experienced dog handler.
To fit your puppy’s ears, purchase the following materials:
- Large foam rubber curlers to fit inside the sink. You can twist the tube made of thin foam rubber.
- Pencils not sharpened.
- Surgical patch, white, 50 mm wide.
- Medical glue.
- Flat wooden popsicle stick.
Pre-cut the hair inside the ears with blunt scissors or shave. Take out the axle from the curler and replace it with a 25 mm pencil.
This is to stabilize the foam tube when inserted into the auricle. Apply adhesive carefully, covering of the foam tube. Avoid getting drops into the ear canal and hands.
An alternative to glue is wrapping the foam rubber with a plaster sticky side out. In this case, you do not need a pencil.
Insert the curlers as shown in the picture.
Press the tube lightly against the wall of the sink so that the insert adheres.
The next stage is pasting the ear with a plaster. Hold the foam tube by the sticking edge of the pencil and begin wrapping the tape from top to bottom. The winding should be made tight, but not too tight, so as not to cause discomfort and not disturb blood circulation.
After wrapping is finished, carefully pull out the pencil. If one sink is straight and the other needs to be stowed, wrap both. To stabilize, place the wand on both ears, secure with tape or glue.
Take the puppy for 5 minutes with some kind of game so that he is distracted from his ears, and the glue will have time to dry out during this time.
Try to keep your pet alone in a calm environment. If there are other puppies in the apartment, they can tear off the winding during the game. The puppy himself is not averse to getting rid of a foreign object. The first day is the most dangerous, in the future the pet will get used to it and will not try to free itself. Therefore, monitor the condition of the dressing and eliminate defects as they arise.
Do not let the bandage get wet, cover the puppy’s head with a bag or umbrella when it rains.
It will take up to two weeks to stabilize your standing position. To remove the dressing painlessly, use adhesive solvent.
If you have any questions, I will answer in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев.
Before starting winding
The best way to get your ears set is to see an experienced professional. But if you are confident in yourself and your strengths, you can do this procedure yourself. Below are some important tips to help you.
Firstly, do not rush with this process, it is better to wait six months when the change of teeth is over. In a hurry, you will only harm the German Shepherd and in the worst case, the ears may not stand up.
Second, don’t overuse calcium. Fifty grams of yogurt or kefir is much better than supplements. The excess will be deposited in the dog’s bones and lead to orthopedic problems in the future.
Thirdly, follow the schedule of vaccinations and worms. Puppy health is directly related to ear muscle strength.
Fifth, don’t forget about special toys and bones. Gnawing them, the pet strengthens the muscles of the ears.
Sixth, do not allow other dogs to drag their pet by the ears to avoid injury.
Prevention of abnormal development
In order for the pet’s ears to get up on time, it is important to observe the following prevention rules:
- add bone meal, dairy products and kefir to the feed;
- periodically massage the ears, thus accelerating blood circulation in them;
- to train the auricles, periodically emit sounds, activating the pet’s attention (this can be done with the help of a voice, as well as various instruments and toys);
- if there is reddening of the ears, do not delay the treatment and immediately contact the veterinary clinic.
To prevent deviations in the formation of cartilage, it is necessary to periodically massage the ears of the shepherd
The main method of prevention is a balanced diet, which includes a sufficient amount of calcium.
Anatomy of the ear and what time the ears should “stand up
At birth, the ears of the puppy are not yet formed.
They are soft cartilage attached to the head. This cartilage is the dog’s auricle.
Over time, as the puppy begins to grow, the ear grows stronger and larger. As the dog grows up, the cartilage will develop into a resilient plate with no blood vessels.
The cartilaginous plate on both sides is covered with a layer of connective tissue. this is the perichondrium. It supports the development of the main cartilage.
The perichondrium contains many small vessels and capillaries.
They help the essential substances needed for growth and strengthening get into the cartilage. This is how the ear becomes: stem cells, like bricks, build the stem of the cartilage.
Cartilage cells produce collagen and elastin. Ear strength depends on these substances.
When a German Shepherd puppy has ears?
You brought a tiny fluffy lump into the house. a German shepherd puppy. While he is still small and almost does not resemble a beautiful and graceful animal, which he will become in the future. But after 2–3 months, its size will increase, the paws will become slender and flexible, the muzzle will stretch out, and the ears will cheerfully stand upright.
The last parameter is very important: according to the generally accepted standard, a German shepherd should have pointed, upright ears with ears turned forward. And they must get up no later than 5-6 months.
When the ears of a German Shepherd puppy are raised
The newly born “German” does not have them at all. This is totally normal. Each animal is individual and it is simply impossible to predict the exact day when the ears of a particular individual should stand up, that is, when it begins its adolescence.
Basically, in representatives of this breed, they begin to rise at the age of one and a half to five months, although there are cases when this occurs even later. up to eight months. Signs of the beginning of the formation of ears in a shepherd puppy are a significant increase in their size, due to the build-up of cartilaginous tissues, they become heavier, become denser.
The owners who raise their first “German” are often worried that the pet’s ears behave, so to speak, not synchronously: one can stand confidently, and the second can hang, lie on its head. They quite often fit into a kind of cap on the top of the head, or become a house. All this is very individual and unpredictable. no two identical animals exist.
During this period of life, they look very amusing, observing the growing up of a furry friend always causes pleasure in those around them. Roughly, by the age of three months, your ward will begin to change teeth. This process is very closely related to the formation of the ears. Therefore, not having time to stand up normally, it may be that the ears of the German Shepherd puppy have fallen. You should not be afraid of this. this is how this friend is genetically arranged. Soon, by about four or five months, the cartilaginous tissue will get stronger and the ears of the shepherd puppy will rise again with renewed vigor.
What measures can be taken
In order to raise your pet’s ears, you can use the following method. First you need to prepare:
- foam rubber curlers. 2 pcs.;
- medical glue;
You will need a patch to set your ears
- Treat the foam rubber surface of the curlers with glue, which is intended for medical use. Do not use household appliances under any circumstances.
- Insert the curlers into the ears (vertically), pressing against the surface of the sink.
- Holding the curlers, wrap the plaster around them, attaching to the ear, but in no case using any effort. It is important not to pinch the ears.
- Leave the structure for 10 days, then carefully remove.
Curlers should not block the ear canal
To speed up the setting of the ears, it is necessary to give the pet 1 tbsp each time it is fed. l. cottage cheese or yogurt without preservatives. Calcium will accelerate the formation of cartilage tissue.
You can use another method to set the ears. Required:
- Cut 2 shapes from cardboard, starting from the size of the ears.
- Apply cotton to the inner surface of the auricle.
- Secure the cardboard with a plaster, wrapping it around the ear.
- Leave for 1-2 weeks.
For setting ears, you should give preference to thick cardboard
- stick the plaster on the wool. it is important to protect this space with cotton wool;
- push the curlers into the ear;
- seal the ear canal;
- squeeze ears.
If none of the methods helped, or the result was temporary, then only surgical intervention remains, in which the cartilage is strengthened with the help of special implants. It is advisable to resort to the operation if by 8 months the ears have remained in a hanging position.
10 Mistakes That Shorten Your Pet’s Life
How to put on your own?
If at 3.5 months the puppy‘s ears do not rise, then it is necessary to take measures to raise them. You can do it yourself.
In addition, you can buy regular brewer’s yeast with calcium and phosphorus, as well as calcium gluconate. Cottage cheese must be present in the dog’s daily diet.
There are several ways to put the ears of a German shepherd, and all of them are implemented using a regular roll-on adhesive. But before that, you need to shave off the hair on the ears to reduce the weight on the ear cartilage.
- If the puppy’s ears did not fall very much, that is, only the tips hang, then you can get by with simple gluing from the inside. We take several layers of the plaster and glue it from the inside, starting from the upper edge of the auricle to the tip. In case of a strong fall, in addition to gluing from the inside, it is necessary to roll each ear into a tube and wrap it around with a plaster. If the ears are low, then it is better to connect them together with the same plaster.
- With this method, cylindrical pieces cut from dense foam rubber are inserted into the dog’s ear. Then the ears are wrapped around with a plaster and connected together.
Such constructions are left for 5 days, then they are removed and the result is watched. If there are no improvements, they are glued every other day for another 5 days, and so on. If by the age of 8 months the ears have not risen, then most likely they will remain so.
It sometimes happens that well-standing ears fall suddenly, most often at the age of 1 year. This phenomenon is corrected by introducing vitamins and cottage cheese into the diet, which is best calcined.